Students unite for a night of culture

Author: Ilhan Kim

On the evening of Nov. 18, McCullough Student Center hosted the African American Alliance's (AAA) annual Night of Black Culture. This year's event entitled, "Provoking Thoughts," included a wide array of performances that showcased student talent as well as celebrated the rich heritage of the African American community. The emphasis on poignant solo and duet performances lent the night a cozy, familial atmosphere as the attendees sat close to the stage.

The night began with an introduction from Aifuwa Ehigiator '08, one of the event's organizers, before a clip from Spike Lee's "Mo'Better Blues" was shown. In a conversation between Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes, the two characters discuss racial matters. Shortly thereafter, Sheyenne Brown '09 recited an untitled spoken word piece that reflected upon her black identity and experiences growing up.

In what may have been the night's most touching performance, ex-death row inmate Darby Tillis played the harmonica and sang the blues with Daniel Sheron '10 accompanying him on the guitar. His lyrics reflected the pain and confusion of being unjustly incarcerated, but also had strong spiritual overtones as Tillis thanked God for saving him from his darkest moments. Tillis was on death row for ten years before his conviction was overturned and he was freed.

In a shift from the somber performance earlier, a humorous segment from Spike Lee's "She's Gotta Have It" was shown, displaying the sexual, sometimes crude nature in which men court women. Sparkle Joyner '10 and Lindsay Wright '10 recited a poem while Andrew Maloney '08 jammed on the bass.

Switching roles, Ehigiator '08 read aloud Rudyard Kipling's "If," a poem his younger brother read at their father's funeral. Ehigiator felt that the poem would resonate strongly, especially among black men, though he admitted that its influence is universal. Then Terry St. Jean '07, in a solo trumpet performance, titled "Practice" blasted away while listening to his iPod. St. Jean told the audience, "I just want to showcase an instrument that has given so many opportunities for black people."

Knef King '08 displayed his lyrical prowess as he free-styled to the beat of Maloney's accompaniment.

Ngeri Shakur, a member of the Texas Death Row group recited poetry. She was followed by Ethiopia Al-Mahdi '09, who read a eulogy while footage from the film "Malcolm X" played in the background. Other performances included the only ensemble piece of the night, in which members of the RIDDIM dance troupe performed an impressively choreographed number. To conclude the night, Kelly Gay '07 sang a gospel song demonstrating his range and ability to move the crowd with his crooning.

Last but not least, the final scene of Spike Lee's "School Daze" concluded the evening's performance. Laurence Fishburne's character tells a school audience about an epiphany he had and tells the students that they need to wake up.

Christopher Heinrich '07, treasurer of AAA and one of the other organizers felt particularly proud of being a part of this performance. As a member of AAA for several years now, Heinrich commented, "The variety of acts in this year's show made it a complete success. Between the guest performers, movie clips, spoken word and talented musicians, the audience was kept entertained and interested."

Edwin Mitchell '09 said, "I thought it was great that some former death row inmates came and gave very powerful performances."

Added Miosotis Perez '07, "The small intimate setting allowed for a better show. Overall, the performances were impressive and touching. The AAA Board this year did a great job."