Saturday, May 4, 2024

Sustainability grants ‘green’ study abroad

On April 23, the Robert A. Jones ’59 Conference room hosted presentations by the fall 2009 Sustainable Study Abroad Grant recipients.

As the Dean of International Programs Jeff Cason explained, the Sustainable Study Abroad Grants began in the spring of 2008 as part of a cooperative effort between the Office of International Programs and the Office of Environmental Affairs. These grants of up to $500 awarded by International Programs and Off-Campus Study give students the opportunity to pursue research projects related to the environment and sustainability while they’re studying abroad. Ten grants were given out this year, showing that this is becoming an increasingly popular program.

Students interested in applying for the grant are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs and Off Campus Study for more information. Former recipients had a few words of advice about the application process:

“My advice for students applying to these grants would be to not shy away from applying, even if the project is still developing,” said Jonas Schoenefeld ‘11. “There was no way I could have foreseen or planned everything I did in the fall of 2009, but the grant was flexible enough to accommodate my needs.”

Shannon Engleman ’11 offered that “it is important to apply for the grant if you think that you will want to contribute to your community while abroad in a sustainable way.”

Kaitlynn Saldanha: “Sustainable Development in Patagonia, Argentina”
Middlebury School in Argentina

Abroad1
Saldanha ’11 focused her project on a key sustainability dilemma faced by developing nations in today’s increasingly globalized world: should development come at the cost of environmental concerns, or should the environment take priority over development? As a developing nation with an emerging economy, Argentina faces this challenge constantly. Argentina’s environmental problems stem from the mismanagement of resources, mainly land, in Patagonia. Despite conservation efforts, Patagonia is unprotected virgin land prone to resource and land spoilers.

“During my time in Patagonia, I spent days at a time traveling on buses, and I was able to physically grasp the geographical scale of the development projects and extent to which these projects have altered the landscape,” said Saldanha. She spoke about how her travels in Patagonia and her interactions with the people there had lit a new perspective. “Arriving there, I had the vast perspective that most of the new development projects were unsustainable. After walking the roads and talking to people at the estates, I realized that some projects are bringing prospects and purpose to this desolate land.”

However, Saldanha continued to question whether or not the indigenous Mapuche people needed this economic incentive.
“Do these people need these jobs and these changes in their lifestyle imposed by the development projects? This remains to be determined, but the research that my Sustainable Study Abroad Grant funded prompted me to reflect on the purpose that these projects are bringing to the land.”

Shannon Engelman: “Land of Hidden Treasure: A Vegetation Study of Jazani’s Coral Rag Forest”
SIT Tanzania

Engelman originally planned to apply her grant towards research in a malaria clinic in Stone Town, but after spending time in Zanzibar, she realized that her grant would be better spent in helping Jozani Forest. Zanzibar is a small island off the coast of Tanzania, and the Jozani Forest is a national park and a “global biodiversity hotspot.” The biodiversity has been threatened by development in the area, and only 10 percent of the original forest remains. Zanzibar is increasingly becoming a tourist island, causing controversy as to the sustainability of these practices. The goals of Engelman’s project involved a vegetation study, tourist surveys and tourist products, like a brochure and a trail map. The brochures offered a history of the Jozani forest as well as information about conservation initiatives and environmental education. Engelman helped establish a nature trail with a path of least cutting and had trail signs made to encourage tour guides to stick to these pre-existing trails and to educate tourists about the vegetation of the forest.

“The Sustainable Study Abroad Grant enabled those of us with interests in conservation to help the local community, wherever we were,” said Engleman. “It is important for other students to see that it is possible to push for sustainability, even in completely foreign cultures.”

Engelman also felt that studying abroad broaden her perspective on environmental issues. “At Middlebury, environmental issues are often the subject of conferences, workshops, lectures, etc., and I would say that Middlebury strives to be as eco-friendly as possible. But while abroad, it was easy to see that environmental issues do not always receive as much attention as they should. Hopefully students will continue to take advantage of the grant and bring a bit of sustainable interest wherever they travel.”

Jonas Schoenefeld: “Iniciativa ‘Cooperacion Inter-Universitaria de la Region Metropolitana de Santiago Campus Sustentables en el context de la Historia Ambiental de Chile” (Sustainable University Initiative Chile)
Middlebury School in Chile

While studying abroad at the Middle School in Latin America, Chile, Schoenefeld used his Sustainable Study Abroad Grant to work on the Sustainability University Initiative. This initiative brings together university representatives, government officials and outside entities such as Middlebury College and other groups in order to write an inter-university agreement to further the efforts to make the campus more sustainable. Five big universities in the Santiago region are participating in this initiative, including The University of Chile, one of the most prestigious universities in Chile and Latin America.

Schoenefeld traveled around Chile to attend about 70 meetings and to give presentations on sustainability practices at Middlebury College. He spoke about the power plant, the finances and economics of being sustainable and projects in which students, faculty and staff were all involved.

“I tried to give a picture of how projects can work here and really show that these projects are integrated, that it’s not just the administration that is working towards sustainability, but other entities too,” said Schoenefeld. “I wanted to present these projects as being accessible to encourage student participation in the initiatives at Chilean universities.” Schoenefeld also worked with 350.org, an international campaign dedicated to building a movement to unite the world around solutions to the climate change crisis.
Schoenefeld was grateful for the support of the International Programs and Off Campus Study Office and as well for as the opportunity to present during this International Studies Colloquium. “I think it is important to share these projects with Middlebury students to show the incredible possibilities and resources we have to do these projects.”