Sweating it out for spiritual awareness Lakota Sioux tribe member awakens student understanding

Author: Lizzy Zevallos

Sounds rooted in the culture and traditions of the earliest Americans sparked the interest of members of the College community. The construction of a traditional teepee and sweat lodge on Battell Beach kicked off the beginning of the College's celebration of Native American Heritage Month. Sterling Hollow Horn, a member of the Lakota Sioux, paid a visit to the College in order to explain the spiritual and cultural force behind the teepee and sweat lodge.

Although Middlebury prides itself on its international diversity and focus on international academics, world studies programs and a world renowned language program, it seems as though Native American culture has often been overlooked on campus, that is, until now. With the help of students eager to push Native American isssues to the forefront of the College's awareness, Horn was able to erect the teepee and sweat lodge using all local materials in preparation for the spiritual "sweat" ceremony.

"To me, spirituality is the act of protecting one's self as a human," Horn said in a deep and empowering voice while addressing the crowd in front of the fire. Orange flames were reflected in his glasses as he spoke of Native American hardship and identity. "This is my way of life. It is through my knowledge and experience that I have been able to help my people," he said, adding, "this is what spiritualism is all about: finding the positive and pushing toward it."

Native American Heritage Month began in 1990 as a way to celebrate the rich and unique culture and historical influence of the group, as well as to remember the suffering and repression that Native Americans endured in the past. "The federal government not only stripped Native Americans of their home, but also of their culture," Horn said. Practices such as the traditional "sweat" were met with massacre when the government became aware of them. "This was America's first act of genocide and it was against its very own first Americans," he continued.

Horn compared these actions to those taken by Hitler, whose concept of concentration camps, many claim, originated from his studies of the English and their treatment of native populations in the United States.

"Harsh government policies caused many symbols of Native American culture, including the sweat lodge, peace pipe and sun-dance, to go underground," Horn, who has devoted himself to preserving these practices from cultural destruction, explained.

Horn spoke of the importance of the teepee to the Sioux culture. Anna Clock '09, who assisted throughout the day, said, "I was amazed at how simple it was to construct the teepee." According to Horn, "the Sioux were capable of assembling and dissembling the teepees in a matter of minutes - I take it around just in case the hotels are booked," he joked. The sweat lodge was the main attraction as it drew many students eager to take part in the ceremonial "sweat."

"The sweat lodge is symbolic of a woman's womb, evident in its dome-like structure. It is where we go to detoxify and cleanse our bodies and to pray for those that are less fortunate," Horn explained.

At 6 p.m., Horn began the ceremony. He led the "sweat" as he was taught by his elders to do. Each person had a chance to smoke from the peace pipe and participate in an acompanying prayer. With each prayer, Horn threw water into a pile of intensely hot rocks. With each throw, steam rose up into a cloud that enveloped the students inside. The ceremony was a true historic and emotional experience for students who shared stories, wishes and hopes.

It is experiences like these that Kelly Dennis '07 wishes to extend to the students. Dennis is the founder of Voices of Indigenous People (VIP), one of the main organizations on campus that made this event possible.

"I founded VIP last semester as a reaction to a Cowboys and Indians party held by the frisbee team last year," said Dennis. "Nobody realized that there are some people on this campus who would be offended by such a party," Dennis said. With VIP, she and many other students seek to raise awareness. This year the College welcomed five first-year students that grew up on Native American reservations.

Native American Heritage month will continue with a screening of "The Business of Fancydancing" on Nov. 9 in Bicentennial Hall 216, a talk by Anthropology professor Richard Meyers on Nov 10 4:30 in Carr Hall, a cultural dance workshop, Nov. 11. from 3 p.m. in the CFA and ending with the main event: a talk by author and former vice presidential candidate Winona LaDuke on Nov. 14.