Swimming Holes and Grassy Knolls: Explore the great outdoors this spring

With Winter Term long gone and the last traces of snow finally melted, it would appear that spring has arrived once again at Middlebury College. And we all know what that means: finding summer internships, navigating room-draw, preparing theses and final papers and trying not to think about how little time we have left until term ends. Wrong! While for many of us the magnetic pull of the library may still be too strong, it is important to remember that we live in one of the nation’s most beautiful and picturesque states. What is college life if you don’t take in the scenery once in awhile?

But with the ski slopes all devoid of snow, it appears that some of us may need a little prodding in the right direction. For everyone who is still counting the trek to Twilight as a trip into town, The Campus is providing some fun ways to explore Vermont this spring. Ranging from near to far and dry to very, very, wet, these suggestions can fill up a weekend or just a few hours between classes. As a campus, let’s pledge to resist the siren call of the indoors and get outside this spring (and no, eating on Proctor Terrace doesn’t count).

Mad River

While it’s a slightly longer trip from the College, the Mad River area offers a more extreme experience than our other swimming holes. Not to be confused with Mad River Glen, this getaway provides the same intensity of the ski resort that shares its name. Canoeing and kayaking lovers beware — it is not an easy ride.

But with several sites throughout Moretown, Waitsfield and Warren, Vt., the Mad River area caters to those looking for a tamer experience as well. With boulders lining the water, swimmers can enjoy a refreshing dive into the notably clear and rocky water.

Depending on the location, visitors may find waterfalls, natural jacuzzis, small stony beaches and the occasional stretch of sand. This being Vermont, the river is kept impeccably clean and littering rules are strictly enforced. Interestingly enough, multiple Mad River sites also specifically advertise skinny-dipping. For the Midd student that just can’t get enough polar-bearing, these spots provide yet another outlet for baring it all.

Bristol Falls

As one of the most popular swimming areas in Vermont, Bristol Falls provides a one-of-a kind experience for the interested student. A short drive from campus, it offers Mother Nature’s alternative to the diving board: a 15-foot waterfall. Needless to say, this is one well-frequented swimming hole. Hot days sometimes see well over 100 visitors. But not to worry, the falls are over 20 feet across and can accommodate multiple jumpers. For the less aquatically-inclined, rocks litter the area and offer shorter drops into the pool created by the waterfall.

But Bristol Falls offers much more than just diving. A few well-placed steps among the slippery rocks will lead the curious behind the waterfall, where a small cavern begs to be explored. Large boulders encircle the area and soak up sunshine, practically beckoning the sunbathers and book-lovers among us. And in case you aren’t convinced, the area of the New Haven River known as “Circle Current” lies a short distance upstream. This environmental wonder boasts jacuzzis, waterslides and even a small beach — all completely natural features of the river. Not bad for a landlocked state.

Lake Dunmore

Just a short drive down Route 7, Lake Dunmore is home to some of the College’s quirkier traditions. The lake community also boasts its own set of unique customs.

Anyone who visits the lake before the annual breaking of the ice may catch a glimpse of Lord Dunmore, a kilt-clad mannequin that residents place on the water to determine the exact moment that swimming season begins. Taking after a similar tradition at Joe’s Pond (another Vermont swimming hole), the Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Association offers a cash prize to whoever most accurately pinpoints the moment that spring “arrives” to the lake.

Advertising snorkeling, waterskiing, diving and boating, Lake Dunmore provides a plethora of activities for those who tire of just swimming. Members of the crew team will vouch for its role as more than just a swimming hole. Each year they log many hours in their early morning practices on the lake. Dunmore also plays host to Middlebury’s infamous tradition of “polar-bearing” — in other words, diving naked in the middle of the night into a lake of often freezing cold water. Later this year, the Mountain Club will also hold its annual Flaming Flamingo barbeque on Lake Dunmore.

Chipman Hill

For those of us without wheels, Chipman Hill provides a respite from college life within easy walking distance of campus. Arguably the most prominent geological structure in Middlebury, it rises roughly 360 feet above town and boasts several miles of trails. A mere 15-20 minute walk from the college, Chipman promises beautiful views of the Green Mountains and the town for those who make it to the top.

Runners and hikers alike will enjoy Chipman Hill.

“As far as hikes go around here, Chipman is quick and easy — there’s a small time commitment,” said Emma Loizeaux ’13.

But don’t be fooled — the hill’s often steep and root-laden trails provide a real challenge for those that seek one, particularly mountain bikers. An old ski jump left over from Chipman’s days as the College’s ski slope provides temptation for Middlebury’s daredevil bikers. But the hill is not just a haven for those of us with a wild side. Picnickers, casual hikers and even overstressed students in search of a short escape from work will enjoy Chipman Hill.

Worth Mountain Lodge

Forget skiing — the Snow Bowl is the perfect spring destination for students seeking to get off-campus for a day or two. Located a short distance from the top of the chairlift, Worth Mountain Lodge is a cabin built and operated entirely by the Middlebury Mountain Club. The hike up, far from treacherous, is 40 minutes and can even be accomplished in the dark. Complete with both a woodstove and fire ring, this two story cabin has ample floor space and can accommodate up to 25 people. Best of all, the cabin can be reserved for free by Middlebury students (e-mail Renee Igo ’11 at rigo@middlebury.com for details). It is easy to get there without a car, too — ACTR takes your right to the trailhead on Route 12S.

“It’s a great place to go for clubs if they want to do team-bonding as well as friends looking for a spontaneous adventure,” said Marty Schnure ’10.5. As head guide of the Mountain Club, Schnure has been to Worth Mountain Lodge five or six times over her Middlebury career and hopes to visit it after she graduates. Outside the Mountain Club and groups of MOO/OINK alumni, the cabin remains a lesser-known part of Middlebury culture, but with such strong historical ties to the College community, this affordable retreat is a must-see for all Middkids.

Lincoln Peak Vineyard

Another great local attraction, the Lincoln Peak Vineyard lies three miles north of Middlebury on Route 7. A thriving wine-producer, Lincoln Peak recently took two Double Gold medals, a “Best in Show” award and several other distinctions at the International Cold Climate Wine Competition in St. Paul, Minn. Dedicated to and dependent upon the concept of cold weather grapes, Lincoln Peak got its start as a vineyard six years ago thanks to innovations by the University of Minnesota and a particularly intrepid grape breeder.

The friendly staff at Lincoln Peak welcomes guests at all times, encouraging them to drop in throughout the growing season. Visitors can tour both the vineyard and the winery, either alone or guided by a staff member. Picnickers are also welcome.

Visitors in the 21-or-above age range will also undoubtedly enjoy the tasting room. Lincoln Peak proudly boasts that all its wines are “estate-bottled.” In other words, they use only their own grapes when making wine. The vineyard has patented several of its own varieties, and even sells cuttings of some of its vines. For those of us with the ID and the cash, Lincoln Peak still has wines available from last year’s season.

Battell Beach

Too bogged down with work to make it off campus? Still have to write a few dozen pages of that thesis? Perhaps you forgot to start reading that iconic Russian novel until the day before it’s due? Not a problem. Middlebury College has fortunately provided us all with a totally-free, ultra-convenient outdoor space that provides endless outdoor entertainment year-round. Whether you’re looking for ultimate frisbee, a good snowball fight or that weird sport with the broomsticks, Battell Beach is guaranteed to deliver.

Enjoy Battell’s picturesque slopes on your daily hikes to Bi Hall and Ross Commons. Boasting both wooded and cleared sections, it’s perfect for that frantic shortcut when you’re late to class. Those who frequently brave the summit tell of beautiful panoramic views of the backs of both Forest and Battell Hall and a glimmer of Le Chateau in the distance. Best of all, the early spring snow melt tends to put much of Battell Beach underwater — it doubles as a swimming hole. So next time you make the excuse that you don’t have the time to enjoy nature, remember: it is just a short trip across College Street.