Synergy spurs talk on access to food

Author: Aylie Baker

Two years ago, eco-visionary and human rights attorney Van Jones urged a packed Dana auditorium to consider the power behind inter-group collaboration in the environmental justice movement: "Who are you going to take with you?" he asked. "Who are you going to leave behind?"

Saturday Sept. 20 marked the start of a two-day conference first inspired by Jones. At Middlebury's second annual Synergy retreat, more than 50 students, faculty and administration representatives gathered at Camp Common Ground in Starksboro, Vt. to discuss collaboration around the issue of food access.

The retreat could not fall at a more pertinent time. The spike in global food prices over the last two years has sent many countries reeling, particularly those in the developing world. Just weeks after Eric Schlosser's talk on Fast Food Nation, food access isalso resonating with a variety of student interests here at Middlebury, including increased food demand in India and China, biofuels, and migrant workers in Vermont.

"Everyone relates to food," explained student organizer Dave Dolginow '09 of this year's topic, "it's an essential part of our common humanity and reveals a lot about our individual and collective cultures and communities."

Indeed, one of the primary successes of the retreat was its ability to involve participants from different backgrounds and initiatives in a number of teambuilding activities.

"People made some great connections with each other this weekend," remarked student organizer Deborah Wakefield '11, who described the retreat as "year-blind." Whether gathering around tables of local organic food or kicking back at the barn dance, the retreat was a great opportunity to get to know people that you may not typically interact with."

Guest speakers from the faculty and community were eager to interact with students. On Sunday morning Jay Leshinsky of the Organic Garden kicked off his shoes to join the circle, offering advice when he felt pertinent, but by in large allowing the discussion to stay student-based.

"Student activists have become so effective today because they are not hampered by a rigid or hierarchical approach," said John Elder, Professor of Environmental Studies and English and American Literatures.

"What I liked about the Synergy retreat was the deeply democratic nature of the process … Every voice can be heard, and a true consensus arrived at."

In his speech on Saturday, Elder drew upon his experience donning a maple tree costume several years ago to stress the importance of inclusion