Tedx Talks — Authentic Patriotism: How They Found It, and Restored a Nation Adrift

Author, professor, renowned speaker and Middlebury graduate Stephen Kiernan '82 kicked off the series by reminding attendees of what it means to be part of a nation.
Citing some alarming economic statistics (the average age of U.S. citizens below the poverty line, for example, is nine), Kiernan emphasized collective responsibility and the need for real patriotism in spite of a largely individualistic society. “We are less connected just when we need to be more so,” he said.

While the numbers were striking, Kiernan’s presentation was grounded in real stories of personal initiative. One featured Jack McConnell, a retired physician in Hilton Head, South Carolina, who started a free clinic staffed by fellow medical retirees, which eventually led to a nationwide phenomenon.

“The biggest payoff was not in dollars,” Kiernan said of the program that treated 16,000 patients and saved the Hilton Head health system $500,000 every year.  “It was in the people’s experience.”
To help others find ways to get involved, Kiernan started the B1 Campaign. Visitors to the website, B1campaign.com, need only enter a location and field of interest in order to be matched with 15 nearby volunteer opportunities.

Kiernan urged those in attendance to look to people like McConnell for inspiration.  “We need every one of you,” he said. “If you admire authentic patriots, then be one.”