Tedx Talks — Writing with Julia

When the author of five books whose work has appeared in The New York Times, Vanity Fair and Time comes back to his alma mater, students might be curious to know what life advice he has to offer. Alex Prud’homme '84, who helped his aunt, Julia Child, write her memoir, provided those in attendance with guidance from Child herself: “You must have the courage of your convictions.”

Prud’homme’s anecdotes paint the culinary icon as a spunky heroine whose affable and daring nature served her career quite well. “She would charm her way into the kitchen and ask, ‘How did you make that wonderful beurre blanc?’” he said.

When it came to the United States, however, it seemed that the appeal of her techniques could be lost in translation. “Cooking in France is a combination of high art and competitive sport,” he said. American publishers, on the other hand, told Child that what American housewives were looking for was “something quick with a mix.” Eventually, however, Mastering the Art of French Cooking hit shelves in the States and initiated a revolution. As it turned out, 1960s Americans were craving more than just efficiency.

“We wanted a delicious meal carefully prepared with love,” he said. At Child’s recommendations, people were using copper pots, sharper knives and an approach that valued quality and variety over volume and promptness.

To conclude, Prud’homme wheeled a miniature stove onstage and commenced the preparation of a crêpe. “It’s a bit like writing a book,” he said. Each requires some time, some care, and some commitment. It can fail miserably, but if it succeeds, it can be nourishing.”  A successful flip and burst of applause followed shortly thereafter. Et voilà.