The art of seduction Self-proclaimed 'artist' reveals seduction know-how

Author: H. Kay Merriman

Valentine's Day is only a few days away, and if you are not a member of the couple spotted holding hands at the Atwater salad bar, you might be feeling a little desperate. With such a small community, Middlebury can be an intimidating place to find a date. Never fear! Juan Machado '11, instructor to the Winter Term workshop "The Art of Seduction," has come to the rescue! Much to the dismay of many single Midd kids, Machado's workshop was cancelled, but just in time for Feb. 14th, he offered his secrets to seducing that he says are "proven effective."

Machado clarified that his methods are not by-the-book rules, but an "art" to be practiced, adapted and mastered.

"[Seduction] is an art because there's no prescription, no script to a lady's or a gentleman's heart," he said. "It all varies according to different people and settings, and there's always a good amount of improvisation required."

If Machado's "art" seems too fluid or vague, rest assured that there are a few hard-and-fast guidelines to follow and various techniques to employ.

"The key components are all social: project confidence, possess a sense of humor, connect with people and be seen as the social center," Machado explained.

One way to exude social mastery is by what Machado terms "peacocking."

"Peacocking means to dress a bit flashy, even wearing something a bit tacky like a cowboy hat or a ridiculous pair of sunglasses," he elaborated. "It's the equivalent of wearing a conversation piece, and it serves two purposes: to make you stand out in a crowd and to give the opposite sex an excuse to approach or compliment you."

In order to fully "peacock," the seducer must possess confidence, Machado's secret to any seduction. He described how he would have helped participants in the workshop to develop this confidence.

"At the heart of everything is confidence," said Machado. "Our first activity would have been to pick up a phone book and call strangers to ask for movie recommendations. Truly, what you say and how you look are much less important than how you conduct yourself. Without confidence, you won't get anywhere."

However, a high level of confidence does not guarantee success. Machado revealed that even as a master of seduction, his heart has been broken.

"Don't go head over heels for someone, and if you can't help it (I'm often a victim of this), then don't make it obvious," he said. "It's unattractive to go begging for someone's attention, and they will probably lose interest in you. Instead, keep it cool."

Machado listed nine types of "seductive characters" or nine "Jungesque archetypes" - personas utilized for flirtation. A self-proclaimed cross between "the Charmer" and "the Charismatic," Machado seemingly abides by his own advice to "keep it cool." Others, though, act quite differently.

"Ideal Lovers, for example, seduce people by feeding their fantasies of romance and adventure and include the famed Casanova,"he explains.

"The Dandies, meanwhile, play with gender fluidity to appear mysterious and include the ranks of Rudolph Valentino and Lou von Salome."

Ideal Lovers, Charmers and Dandies alike, once achieving their desired "seduction," must work to maintain and sustain the objects of their affection. Machado offered a prognosis for the current "state of seduction" at Middlebury.

"Mastering seduction is only good for picking up men or women," he said. "If you want a long-term relationship you have to be interesting, and I think that overall we are a pretty interesting group of people. There's always room for improvement, however."

What exactly qualifies Machado to pass this judgment and make these suggestions, you ask?

"Years and years of experience ranging from miserable failure to eventual success," he responded.

So will the master of the "art of seduction" spend Valentine's Day with someone he has previously seduced or be out and about practicing his technique? The answer remains a mystery, but if you see a "Charismatic" in a "peacocking" outfit, you may want to thank him for the tips or put on your most confident smile and try to use his techniques on the master himself.

Happy Valentine's Day!