The roadmap for carbon neutrality

Author: H.Kay Merriman

In an effort to meet the trustees' deadline for developing a firm set of ideas that would enable the College to become carbon neutral by 2016, the MiddShift Implementation Working Group (MSIWG) hosted two open forums on April 15. The purpose of the forums, Campus Sustainability Coordinator and Co-Chair of MSIWG Jack Byrne explained, was to provide a roadmap for the carbon neutrality initiative and to receive additional ideas that the group may have overlooked. Although the forums were sparsely attended by students, faculty and staff who did attend received clarification on the College's definition and vision of carbon neutrality and then expressed their personal concerns regarding the campaign,

"The common misperception is that carbon neutrality means offsets," Byrne said, pointing to MiddShift's newly printed, glossy color "Guide to Carbon Neutrality at Middlebury College" for the MSIWG's mission statement.

"The trustees resolved to achieve carbon neutrality through renewable, efficiency, conservation, and, as a last resort, offsets (paying for projects that reduce carbon dioxide emissions such as the development of wind turbines)" the brochure reads.

Byrne elaborated that MiddShift intends to use methods of conservation, to increase efficiency, and to change to renewable resources in order to eliminate Middlebury's carbon footprint produced by heating and cooling, electricity, vehicles and landfill waste. However, the seven percent of the footprint that is caused by travel - such as busing athletic teams or class-trips - will have to be counteracted with the purchase of offsets.

"It is unrealistic to think we will be able to travel carbon-free by 2016," Byrne stated.

Byrne also alluded to the possible establishment of an offset program in Middlebury that would be used instead of sending money to an established wind turbine or tree-planting offset program outside of Vermont. Byrne suggested assisting Middlebury High School in installing a new, more efficient heating system as a means of making up for the travel portion of the carbon footprint.

In response to Byrne's request for suggestions for ways to eliminate the other portions of the College's carbon footprint Old Chapel Receptionist Irene Barna said, "Fix your buildings." She expounded on the merits of occupancy-sensing lights and noted the discrepancy between the dark halls of Hillcrest and the ever-lit Old Chapel at night.

Member of the MSIWG's Steering Committee Bobby Levine '08 responded by explaining that the College has marked the "Red Buildings" on campus that are the least energy-efficient, including the Bubble and Johnson. Director of Human Resources and Co-Chair of MSIWG Drew Macan stated that the renovation of the "Red Buildings" would be a gradual process and a long-term goal in the effort to reduce carbon emissions by increasing efficiency.

In regards to short-term goals, Byrne proudly announced that the Biomass Facility behind McCullough should begin operating by the end of this year, and the switch from oil to woodchips as a means of powering the heating and cooling of the College is not only a more sustainable practice for the future, but also will reduce carbon emissions and cut oil consumption immediately.

While the leaders of the forum were largely concerned with the sustainability of the College's practices, the MSIWG also wants to ensure the sustainability of their campaign.

"The trustees said we want to get to net zero carbon emissions, but it doesn't end at 2016," said Byrne. "Whatever we do has to have durability."

He asked the forum how they would create an "institutional commitment" to carbon neutrality that would last through changing administrations and students.

"You need a good PR campaign," suggested Director of Internal Communications Robert Keren, stating that the logo of "MiddShift" and the Guide to Carbon Neutrality were a good start.

Library and Information Services Graduate Intern Chris Rodgers posed ideas for changing the current campaign, emphasizing the need for administrative transparency and positive wording. Rodgers noted that he often sees signs in dining halls proclaiming the amount of paper or food wasted, but not how much has been saved.

Byrne revealed plans for making MiddShift more accessible. The finished Biomass Facility will have a solid glass wall so that passersby can observe the use of biomass, and Byrne hopes to construct an interpretive station in the building where people can read about the process. He also plans to add digital stories to the MiddShift web site chronicling individual members of the College community's efforts to live more sustainably. Recognizing that the more students and staff learn about the carbon neutrality initiative, the more questions they will have, Byrne hopes to establish an online question and answer database for general reference.

MSIWG plans to host more open forums in the future in order to continue the exchange of ideas and to involve larger portions of the College.

"A headline in The Campus might be the first step," said Barna.