Three Squares Cafe Review

Have you ever gotten to Proctor minutes after they’ve made the dreaded change from breakfast to lunch? We have and have not been happy about it. Luckily we have found a place that understands our love for breakfast food past 10:30 am. 3 Squares Cafe, located in Vergennes, Vt. serves breakfast until 3 pm! Not only does this café serve seven hours of breakfast, but also the breakfast menu contains irresistible items such as “Green Eggs and Ham,” and “Peach and Granola Buttermilk Pancakes.”

Breakfast until three isn’t the only example of 3 Squares ability to satisfy cravings. They also have a Taqueria Menu that is served every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Imagine Mexican Night at Ross three days a week! There are also some added benefits of venturing off-campus for some Mexican food. First, the Taqueria menu offers a Pork Taco that contains pork, avocado and goat cheese. Second, the Taqueria menu has the luxury of having avocado.  Third, the line is not out the door!

Although it was not Mexican, we did have a great lunch at 3 Squares.   We tried the Roasted Tomato & Broccoli Rabe Panini which was even better than the classic tomato-mozzarella Panini. We also tried the

Baby Spinach with Champlain Orchard’s Apples salad. We were attracted to the item mostly because it came with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette, one of our favorite items in the Middlebury Dining halls.

Unfortunately, we were underwhelmed by the simplicity of the salad. There weren’t many tastes or textures compared to other items on the menu, and we regretted our decision.

Luckily, Linley Shaw ’17 came along with us on our outing and intelligently ordered off of the Daily Specials Menu.  Every day, Three Squares offers several unique specials that excite taste buds.  Many of these specials contain local ingredients.  Linley ordered the VT Apple and Bacon sandwich with Local Triple Creme Cheese. The fresh ingredients of apple and cranberry gave the sandwich a fresh fall taste, and the copious amount of bacon made it unforgettable.  Unique sandwich options like this are what make this café worth going to.

In summary, 3 Squares is a MiddKid’s dream: it offers breakfast until 3 p.m., an entire Mexican menu and sandwiches that consist of bacon.  To top it all off, prices don’t exceed $12. What more could a Middlebury student want?

By Olivia Jurkowitz and Lauren Berestecky