Tough Loss for Women's Soccer

Coming off a startling loss to Connecticut College, the Middlebury women’s soccer team continued their disappointing start to the 2014 NESCAC season this Saturday, Sept. 20 as they fell at home to Bowdoin by a score of 2-1.

Going into the game, the Panthers were looking for an opportunity to turn around their season after a pair of hard-fought losses to conference foes Amherst and Conn. College. A midweek win over regional rival Plattsburgh provided a spurt of momentum that Middlebury brought into the matchup with Bowdoin. 

Stout defense enabled the Panthers to play to a scoreless stalemate in the first half against the Polar Bears.

Goalkeeper Kate Reinmuth ’17 saved a trio of shots for Middlebury as both teams struggled to gain an edge in the opening period of play. Both the Panthers and Polar Bears were able to gain a few scoring opportunities in the half, but neither team was able to convert as the game went into halftime scoreless.

In the second half of play, Bowdoin broke through in the 59th minute with a goal from Amanda Kinneston. After Reinmuth made a diving save on a crossing shot from 30 yards out, Kinneston was able to tip the rebound back into the net to give her team the advantage.

Not to be outdone, the Panthers responded with a goal of their own 11 minutes later. After coming in as a substitute, combo forward-midfielder Krystina Reynolds ’17 answered off of a cross from senior Carter Talgo ’15 to tie the game at one apiece and give her team new life with just over 20 minutes left to play.

With the game tied, Bowdoin was able to regain the advantage in the 75th minute on a 20-yard shot from Kiersten Turner. Turner led Bowdoin with a goal and an assist on the day. 

Goalie play was again strong on both sides in the game with Bowdoin’s Bridget McCarthy saving five of Middlebury’s six shots on goal. Reinmuth finished with five saves on seven shots faced.

Middlebury outshot Bowdoin on the day 15-13, while the Polar Bears’ single corner kick opportunity in the second half gave them a 3-1 advantage over the Panthers in that facet of play.

Middlebury’s outshooting their opponents regardless of the outcome of the game appears to be a common theme so far this season. With a shooting percentage of .064 as compared to their opponents shooting percentage of .135, finishing the opportunities they’ve created may be a point of emphasis for the team going forward. Only so many of their scoring troubles can be attributed to performance, however, as the Panthers haven’t caught nearly as many breaks as their opponents at this point in the season. 

Middlebury resumes its slate of conference competition this Saturday, Sept. 27 when they travel to Colby for a matchup with the host Mules, who enter the game with a 1-3-1 record overall.