Treating Depression in College

Having depression can add to an already-stressful life, especially for college students. Oftentimes people experiencing depression feel exhausted and cannot bring themselves to do much at all. Most students at the College barely have enough time to get all their work done when they are at their most energetic, so when depression is added into the mix, it is almost impossible to accomplish what you need to to be a successful student.

Depression is a “common but serious illness typically marked by sad or anxious feelings,” according to the National Institute of Mental Health.

When untreated, depression lasts for a lengthy period of time and interferes with daily life. In their 2011 report, the American College Health Association’s National College Health Assessment found that 30 percent of college students said they felt “so depressed that it was difficult to function” at least once in the past year.

There are multiple types of depression. Major depressive disorder involves disabling symptoms interfering with daily activity, perhaps occurring only once in a person’s lifetime, but more likely coming back repeatedly. Dysthymic disorder is a kind of mild but chronic depression spanning at least a two-year period. People with dysthymic disorder can also experience  an episode of major depressive disorder. Minor depression is a more mild and short-term form of depression that can develop into major depressive disorder without treatment.

Several factors, including genetics and environment, can lead to depression. For many, going to college can be a source of stress that can increase your risk for depression. Being far away from home, bombarded with schoolwork and trying to manage your finances can play into depression as well. Depression can be treated effectively, typically with antidepressants and/or psychotherapy.

Antidepressants affect neurotransmitters in the brain, such as serotonin and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters are involved in the regulation of mood, but research is inconclusive in showing exactly how they work.

Researchers originally thought that antidepressants worked by raising serotonin levels in the brain, though this theory was never fully substantiated. Though research confirms that serotonin is involved in mood functions, it remains a mystery how exactly its levels affect mood; indeed, the connection seems not to be a causal one, but something more subtle.

Some research shows that antidepressants prove very effective in treating major depression, but do little more than a placebo for minor depression. Other more alarming effects of antidepressants involve increases in suicidal thoughts and behaviors among children and young adults, leading to antidepressants receiving a black-box warning because of their increased risk for these groups.

Psychotherapy can also prove effective in treating depression. Therapy can involve Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), a type of psychotherapy that works to change negative patterns of thinking that can contribute to depression. Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) can also be helpful — this type of therapy helps people work through their personal relationships that may contribute to depression. Therapy can be both short-term and long-term, depending on the individual.

There are many other resources and strategies to manage and treat depression. Going to counseling at Parton is a great way to start the treatment process — the sooner treatment begins the better. Breaking up assignments and tasks into smaller tasks can be an effective way to get work done while coping with depression. Exercise and healthy eating can help boost mood: exercise releases endorphins in the brain and certain vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin D and magnesium, can help boost and stabilize mood, especially during the winter months — almost every month here in Vermont!

If an episode of depression is brought on by a specific event — such as the end of a relationship — short-term therapy, engagement with activities and spending time with friends may be the best ways to make it through that tough time. Depression stemming from an emotional event — say, a breakup — can often improve over time. Depression unrelated to any specific event or trigger, however, may require more long-term treatment and more rigorous effort.

Depression is extremely common among college students — almost 50 percent of college students report having felt the symptoms of depression at some point. For some, maintaining healthy habits can help you alleviate or avoid the symptoms of depression. For others, psychotherapy and medication may be needed. It is important to be conscious of your mental state and your outlook: if you’ve been feeling more negative, sad, tired or hopeless than usual, it may be time to visit the counseling center and reevaluate your habits. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of, but it should not be taken lightly either. With proper attention and treatment, people suffering from depression can recover and go back to enjoying life!

Do you have something you’d like to contribute to the mental health conversation at Midd? Visit go/unspokenstigmas to make your voice heard.