Watt-a-Thon to Celebrate Earth Week

Teams of up to ten people can compete in a relay event to generate the most watts on a stationary bike in the Spring 2014 Watt-a-Thon on Friday April 25 in the Freeman International Center. Organizers have split the event into two sessions, one from 1-3 P.M. and the other from 3:30-5:30 P.M.

According to Teddy Kuo ’15, one of the organizers, the Campus Sustainability Coordinators were looking for a fun and meaningful event for Earth Week. He said that working with YouPower provided an opportunity to attract a broader base of students. They saw spinning as an activity with broad appeal because it tapped into the College’s passion for fitness.

Kuo said that he hopes the event will lead people to become more energy conscious and adjust their usage day to day.

S.J. Fossett ’17 echoed Kuo’s emphasis on energy consciousness.

“If there’s anything biking on the energy-generating bikes at the Youpower studio teach you, it’s that things as simple as running a 60 watt light bulb for an hour actually takes a lot of energy. We’re hoping that this event will be a great way to advertise turning off the lights when you leave the room and to attract new riders to an alternative, upbeat way to work out on campus,” said Fossett.

Director of Sustainability Integration Jack Byrne also supports the event, “The Watt-a-Thon is such a novel kind of race - not the fastest time but the most electricity generated by human sweat. It’s a great way to end a week’s worth of great events to celebrate our earth and keep the lights burning bright.”

The Watt-a-Thon was first held two years ago with the introduction of the YouPower studio through MiddSTART funding. Kuo, who participated in the event the first time it was held, recalled that in previous years the bikes were full with participants from a variety of groups. He recalled the swim team and hockey team being involved and an atmosphere of friendly competition.

Student excitement for the Watt-a-Thon is growing, “As a big fan of everything Youpower, I am so excited for the Spring Watt-a-thon. What’s not to love about a great work out, good music, and some friendly competition – all for an awesome cause?” said Fia Green ’14.5, a regular instructor at YouPower who plans to participate on Friday.