Winter Carnival Lineup Boasts Range of Entertainment Options

Author: Chelsea Coffin

There is more to look forward to than a long weekend this week. Winter Carnival kicks off Thursday night, and the festivities don't stop until Saturday night's ball.
The fun begins at the Center for the Arts on Thursday night with a cultural gala, including the Burlington Taiko, a Japanese drumming ensemble, MchakaMchaka, Middlebury College's own African running choir and Shari Poons, a student funk band. As the cultural gala empties out, the crowd will be able to look to the sky for a fireworks display.
The festivities continue in McCullough Thursday night with a screening of "Goonies" in The Grille for any interested fans, in addition to a dance party that will surpass any average McCullough fiesta thanks to karaoke and Orange Crush, a live 80s cover band.
Friday afternoon will bring the Commons Winter Olympics. From 2 to 5 p.m. students can participate in luge, curling, snowshoeing and sledding competitions on McCullough lawn.
The winter sports continue with the first performance of the ice show in Kenyon Arena.
Performers include students, children and outside guests of all experience levels. One group will skate to the Middlebury favorite, Madonna's "Like A Prayer."
For those in the mood for some cabaret entertainment, there will be a Night Club talent show in McCullough Social Space on Friday evening. Waiters will serve mock cocktails as spectators sit at candlelit tables. On tap and Brian the Juggler are among the acts scheduled following the Night Club. Things will also heat up with a dance party in Johnson.
There will be a second performance of the ice show on Saturday afternoon.
Then on Saturday evening, students are invited to attend the semi-formal "Hooray for Hollywood" ball, the Carnival's largest event. Last year's event drew an estimated 1600 people. Nelson Arena will be transformed with decorations and a live band.
All events are free, except for the ice show, the Night Club and the ball. Tickets can be purchased this week at Ross. The entire package comes with a snazzy T-shirt to commemorate the weekend.
So buy your tickets, and gear up for Middlebury's annual three days of fun to ward off the mid-winter blues.