Winter Carnival to Feature DJ Earworm

The Middlebury College Activities Board (MCAB) has announced that DJ Earworm will be headlining the Winter Carnival Ball on Saturday, Feb. 22. According to MCAB President Elizabeth Fouhey ’14, “Earworm was selected as the DJ for Winter Carnival ball because his mash-ups are always a huge crowd pleaser, he was the right price and he was available.  MCAB has already gotten a lot of enthusiastic feedback about the choice, and so we are excited for a great show and Winter Carnival.”

Earworm has performed at the College once before, at Winter Carnival Ball 2010, and the positive feedback resulting from his performance also played a role in inviting him back in 2014, according to Fouhey.

Earworm, whose given name is Jordan Roseman, is a San Francisco-based mashup artist known for his annual “United States of Pop” series, tracks that combine the top 25 pop songs of the year into one song.

The MCAB Traditions Committee has also announced a new event to the Carnival line-up, a yet-to-be-announced musical performance that will replace the traditional Orange Crush dance.

Increasingly low attendance over the past three years among the student body at Orange Crush, an ’80s music event traditionally held on the Friday night of Winter Carnival, has prompted the Traditions Committee to reconsider and ultimately replace the event with an alternative that Fouhey said was inspired by the popularity of the Small Concerts Initiatives.

“This year’s event is supposed to be a fresh take on a great tradition, Orange Crush. To me, this is what the Traditions Committee is really about,” Fouhey said. “Middlebury is constantly updating, and while we need to keep our traditions alive, we do also need to change alongside the student body. In a weekend full of age-old traditions, we are hoping to start a few new ones of our own as well.”