Women’s Basketball Grabs Another NESCAC Win

The Middlebury women’s basketball team (10-7, 2-2) garnered its second conference victory of the year with a thrilling 50-46 victory at Wesleyan on Friday night, Jan. 16. The Panthers remained on the road and took to the floor against Conn. College on Sunday afternoon, Jan. 17, playing hard but ultimately falling 54-35. Middlebury then slipped up again on the road at Smith College on Tuesday, Jan. 20, losing 65-59.

The classic battle between Middlebury and Wesleyan was close throughout, as the lead never extended beyond six for either team. The difference in the game was the Panthers’ defense.

Sabrina Weeks ’18 led Middlebury in points with 13 and matched Elizabeth Knox ’17 for the team high with 10 rebounds. With the 13-and-10 performance Weeks notched her first career double-double. Knox and Sarah Kaufman ’18 also chipped in 10 points for the Panthers.

With 7:46 left in the game, Weeks converted an old-school three-point play to put Middlebury up 40-38. The Panthers never let Wesleyan tie the game again, just keeping the Cardinals at bay. Kaufman scored the game-winning basket with a bucket in the lane off of a pass from Knox to make it 48-44. Kaufman pushed the score to 50-46 with a made free throw in the final seconds.

“Every team in the NESCAC is talented,  said Weeks, “so getting a second conference win was big for us and was a good step in proving that when we play together we can compete with anyone.”

Middlebury entered halftime during its Sunday contest with Conn. College down just eight, but the Camels outscored the Panthers 24-5 over the final 11:16 of play to win the game by 19. Middlebury led just once, with 15:23 left in the second half, when Rachel Crews ’15 sank two free throws to take the lead 27-26.
Crews led Middlebury with 13 points. Kaufman and Knox also scored in double figures with 12 and 10, respectively.

On Tuesday, Jan. 20 Smith topped the Panthers for the second time this season, despite double-digit points from Weeks, Crews and Kaufman.

“Our focus each and every day is to get better and play as a team,” said Head Coach KJ Krasco, “Some days we are able to do this better than others. But instilling the attitude of no matter what happens WE still need to work to get better each day has been our motto for the season.”