Women's Basketball Preview

2013-14 record: 7-17

Captains: Alexis Coolidge ’15, Rachel Crews ’15, Nora Kelly ’15

Following last year’s 7-17 record, the Middlebury women’s basketball team looks to rebuild in the 2014-15 season.

With the loss of Sarah Marcus ’14, Laura Lowry ’14 and Scarlett Kirk  ’14  — the team’s three leading scorers — the Panthers must bolster the offensive effort this season. Returning members Elizabeth Knox ’17 and Rachel Crews ’15, who tallied 184 and 156 points respectively in 2013-14, will likely lead the charge on offense. Tri-captain Alexis Coolidge ’15 will also assume a leadership position, having contributed 111 points last season.

First-years Sarah Kaufman and Sabrina Weeks have made notable scoring contributions in the first five games of the season. In her second collegiate appearance, Kaufman set a program single-game record by sinking 20 free throws.

The new dynamic has proved successful thus far, as the team currently holds a 4-1 record, including a championship title in the season-opening Tyler Tip-Off Tournament.

KJ Krasco has joined Middlebury women’s basketball as head coach after three seasons as Bowdoin’s top assistant. Krasco, a successful recruiter in previous positions, “[looks] forward to the challenge of moving the women’s basketball program to the next level.” The Panthers will rely on Coach Krasco’s enthusiasm and leadership as they advance to face heightened competition in and out of conference.

The team will wrap up regular season play in February with six consecutive appearances against NESCAC rivals, including a final matchup against top-seeded Amherst. Pending on a successful in-conference record, Middlebury will appear in the league tournament for the first time since the 2012-13 season, in which they fell to Williams in the NESCAC Semifinal.