Women's Golf Finishes Fifth at Williams Invite

On Oct. 4-5, the Middlebury women’s golf team competed in the Williams Invitational, their fourth tournament of the fall. The team finished fifth place out of 16 teams, shooting a 336 on the first day of competition and a 335 on the second day. These similar scores demonstrate a consistency that the Panthers have been looking to maintain since the beginning of the season.

Middlebury was once again led by Michelle Peng ’15, who came in 10th place overall. She shot a 79 on day one and then completed the weekend with an 82 on day two. Peng’s 10th place finish at Williams marks the fourth consecutive top 10 finish of her fall season. She has come in second, fourth, fifth and 10th in the past four tournaments. Peng’s consistent record of top finishes places her near the top of the heap among NESCAC competitors.

Jordan Glatt ’15 was the next top finisher for the Panthers. She shot a 165 for the weekend to earn a 16th place finish. Glatt has also performed well this fall, consistently finishing near the top at each tournament. Peng and Glatt, who have successfully led the Panthers this season, will hope to continue that trend in the all-important spring season.

Hope Matthews ’18 finished the weekend with a 171, which secured her a solid 25th place while Theodora Yoch ’17 was just three strokes behind with a 174, good for 29th place. Emma Kitchen ’14.5 and Sarah Breckinridge ’18 also competed this weekend. Kitchen shot a 203 while Breckinridge finished with a 195.

With their finishes in the top fourth of the tournament, Peng, Glatt, Matthews, and Yoch made major contributions to Middlebury’s second place finish among NESCAC schools.

Unfavorable weather conditions posed an additional challenge for the Panthers as they played throughout the weekend. “Even though the weather didn’t cooperate on Saturday, we were fairly pleased with our performance given the extra obstacle of rain,” Glatt said. Looking ahead, Glatt stated: “Although our overall team score was consistent when comparing the two rounds, we look to improve next weekend at Wellesley.”

The Middlebury women’s golf team will complete its fall season next weekend at the Ann Bachelder Invitational, which will take place at Wellesley College.