World Briefs Dear Mr. President

Author: Mike Murali

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wrote a letter to President Bush Monday discussing ways in which their two nations could ease tensions. The government of Iran has become bolder in developing its nuclear program since achieving low-level uranium enrichment just last month. Iran has also threatened to stop cooperating with the United Nations' nuclear monitoring group in the event that a resolution banning Iran's nuclear program passes. Many politicians in the U.S. consider Iran a top national security priority.
-The New York Times, New York

sri lanka peace talks
Over 200 people have died in the past month in Sri Lanka as conflicts between the government and rebel Tamil Tigers escalate. A Japanese envoy met with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse Monday in an attempt to aid the peace process. On the same day, however, the Tamil Tigers' Web site accused the government army of killing eight Hindu temple workers near the northern, ethnically Tamil town of Jaffna. An army spokesperson denied these claims, saying only that the bodies were indeed recovered.
-Reuters,
Colombo, Sri Lanka

Easing tensions
Following a predawn shootout on Monday, Hamas and Fatah, the two major Palestinian political rivals, sought to ease tensions. This marks some of the most intense fighting between the two groups since Hamas won the Palestinian elections in January. Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniya condemned the violence, which occurred when several Fatah gunmen kidnapped Hamas members in a farming village outside Khan Yunis in southern Gaza. The three gunmen were killed and eight people were wounded.
-The New York Times,
Jerusalem

Blair reluctant to go
Despite claims that his leadership is destabilizing the Labor Party, British Prime Minister Tony Blair has yet to set a date of departure from office. His party did poorly in last week's elections, coming in third place after garnering only 26 percent of the popular vote. The competing Conservative and Liberal Democrat parties received 40 and 27 percent, respectively. While Blair has maintained that a change of leadership would only worsen the situation, some 50 Labor parliamentarians have reportedly signed a letter calling on Blair to set a final date.
-The World Peace Herald,
London