Sports Briefs – 3/18/10

By Middlebury Campus

Deane ’11.5 honored as NESCAC Player of the Week in career debut

In his first career start for the Panthers, goalie Ryan Deane ’11.5 contributed a standout, 20-save performance that may well have been the difference between a victory and a loss for the team. Despite being significantly outshot by Bates 57-36, Middlebury still managed to leave Lewiston, Maine. with a 9-6 win over its first NESCAC opponent of the season.

This large disparity in shots, including a 26-21 Bates advantage in shots on goal, proves that Deane came up huge for his team, and was a major reason that the Panthers were able to keep their lead. The new goalie’s impressive number of saves, including several from point-blank range, led him to finish the game with a .769 save percentage.

First-game jitters were notably absent in the junior goalkeeper, who demonstrated remarkable tenacity in the net. Unfazed by the tied score after the first period, Deane buckled down in the second and third quarters, and denied the Bobcats a goal for 26 straight minutes of play. In the third quarter, a frustrated Bates team fired 17 shots and yet was unable to score, as Deane made eight saves and the rest missed their target.

“I’m lucky to have an experienced defense in front of me that forced Bates to take low-percentage shots,” said Deane. “Hopefully we can continue like this and get the season off on the right foot.”

Deane’s performance is a promising sign for the Panthers’ prospects this season, as the team hopes to make a run for the top spot in D-III lacrosse.

Women’s distance medley relay named All-American

Last Saturday and Sunday, March 13 and 14, a select group of Middlebury track and field runners traveled to DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind. to compete in the 2010 NCAA Indoor Championships. Five athletes in total made the trip to the James A.
Hollensteiner Track: the relay team of tri-captain Anjuli Demers ’10, Kaitlynn Saldanha ’11, Becca Fanning ’12 and Margo Cramer ’12 and rookie 800 runner Juliet Ryan-Davies ’13. Ryan-Davies ran an impressive 2:21.21 in her first appearance at the national meet but failed to qualify for the final heat.

The relay team of Demers, Saldanha, Fanning and Cramer, competing in the distance medley relay, delivered for the Panthers when it counted. With a time of 12:01.33, the team finished in seventh place, earning All-American honors for the effort.

“I think we all had phenomenal performances,” said Demers, “and really came together as a cohesive relay team.”

The team as a whole was very satisfied with its performance, channeling all of the hard work put in since the season began in November and surpassing all expectations.

“The trip was a culmination of months of hard work,” said Fanning, “each one of us honing our skills to be as fast as possible in our respective events.”

“It was amazing to see how we came together to beat our seed [11th] and place [7th],” she continued, “and more importantly, finally beat Williams!”

It was definitely a team race, and each runner should be recognized for the efforts put in to represent the Panthers admirably.