White Powder in CFA Posed No Threat

Author: Elizabeth Logue Managing Editor

Middlebury College's rural existence has not given a false sense of security to employees at the College, who, like most Americans, are on heightened alert since the tragedy of Sept. 11 and the events that have unfolded since.

On the morning of Thursday, Nov. 8, a staff person at the Center for the Arts (CFA) alerted the Department of Public Safety of "two small bags of unknown substances" found in a theater rehearsal space, said Sarah Ray, associate director of public affairs, in a campus-wide e-mail.

In the e-mail, Ray stated that the Department of Public Safety alerted the Middlebury Police Department, following the State of Vermont's recommended procedure, and that the investigation strongly suggested that the bags were theater props.

Director of Public Safety Lisa Boudah stated in an interview with The Middlebury Campus that the unknown substances were removed from the CFA by the Middlebury Police Department and were disposed of since they were not deemed "threatening."

Middlebury Chief of Police Tom Hanley said in an earlier interview with The Campus that the Police Department had specific protocol for the handling of suspicious packages or substances.

He explained that substances or packages had three levels of classification: hoax, suspicious and threatening.

Items believed to be "suspicious after an investigation are disposed of," said Hanley.

"Threatening items," he continued, such as the mail package addressed to a Middlebury staff member in October, "are sent away for testing by the Vermont State Health Department."

Boudah said that several faculty members and students in the theater department were interviewed regarding the bags, leading the Department of Public Safety to conclude that the substances were in fact theater props.

Boudah declined to comment on the possible student productions which would utilize such props.

Although the investigation confirmed that the substances posed no threat, Boudah explained that it did resemble a "threat that is now part of our environment," and indicated that the proper precautionary measures had been taken.