Stray Cats and Dogs Wait for a Good Home at Humane Society

Author: Katie MacDonald Staff Writer

Seeking to assist the helpless animals, the Addison County Humane Society (ACHS) continues the enormous task of improving the lives of homeless animals.

Established in 1975, the mission of this local humane society strives "to promote ethical and humane treatment of, and the prevention of cruelty to, all domestic animals and forms of wildlife inhabiting Addison County."

ACHS has experienced much success in its endeavors. It has found homes for over 4,700 cats and more than 4,780 dogs in its 26 year history. It has expanded its network to become a valued member of the Vermont Humane Federation, the Humane Society of the United States and the United Way of Addison County, among other organizations.

The success of the ACHS is based largely on financial contributions and volunteers. Since the Sept. 11 disaster and the anthrax-by-mail scare that followed, not-for-profit organizations such as ACHS have been struggling for funding. The financial support of animal lovers has been split, if not diverted entirely, to relief and terrorism fundraisers.

Ric Kadour, executive director of ACHS, explained, "We have experienced the shift in priorities of this community since Sept. 11." Just like "many other non-profit organizations [ACHS] had … difficulties."

ACHS has a variety of giving programs. Donors can become directly involved with ACHS, and dependent upon individual financial contributions, are given such rankings as a Lion-hearted Crusader and a Guardian Angel.

For contributors who do not have the $1,000 plus required to be hailed as a Crusader, the Guardian Angel program allows for a more modest financial investment. Especially popular during the holiday season, givers under this program sponsor a single kennel or dog placed in foster care for a fixed period of time.

Four Vermont women, Ruth Bunker, Rose Gale, Lisa Hamilton and Mary Ann Martin, launched the ACHS 26 years ago. Today, the Ruth Bunker Endowment fund is acknowledged as the "corner stone" of the Society's funding. In pursuit of continued shelter, animal protection and educational programs, the goal of the Ruth Bunker Endowment Campaign is to raise $600,000 by the year 2002.

Also beneficial to ACHS and the animals protected by it, is the gift of time. Volunteers are always needed to walk and play with the dogs and cats. The bare-bones facilities of this animal shelter are located at 236 Boardman Street in Middlebury. Because they are confined to cages for a large part of the day, the animals are always eager to entertain volunteers with a game of fetch on the lawn or a brisk walk up the road.

Kadour said that roughly 10 Middlebury College students currently volunteer at ACHS.

Middlebury College student and ACHS volunteer Liz Logue '03 commented, "I am one of those people who would take every dog home if I could." She continued, "It is certainly one of the most valuable uses of my time. Each animal is so affectionate and in need of attention. I can't think of a more rewarding experience—I always find leaving a little difficult."

Recent changes in the policies of ACHS have made foster care a viable option for college students. Kadour said, "Two years ago we became a no-kill institution. This has changed how we manage the flow of animals — rather than destroy an animal, we work with foster homes." The current foster program allows students living in off-campus housing to provide foster care for an animal over at time period that may be as little as a week.

Kadour explained further, "In the past foster care has been difficult for college students because they cannot make a long term commitment. This program allows us to place high-need animals, or animals that have been with us for a while, in a less stressful environment."