Moonlit Alpaca Farm is fun for all

When pondering retirement, many couples may think about upcoming travels, spending more time with family and picking up new hobbies. Carol and Cass Tillman, owners of the Moonlit Alpaca Farm, took a different approach. Uprooted by Hurricane Katrina, the two former business consultants moved from Louisiana to Cornwall, Vt. in 2005 and decided to do something radically different after retiring.

Although the Tillmans arrived in Vermont with little more than a few suitcases, they were quick to rebuild a new life for themselves. When Cass read an article in Forbes Magazine about alpaca farming, the family quickly took to the idea. Only months later, the Tillmans purchased the Moonlit farm.

After seeing the farm, it is hard to believe that the Tillmans knew so little about alpacas only five years ago. Except for a slight lag due to the recent economic downturn, business at the farm is booming. The Tillmans own approximately 100 alpacas, four miniature horses and one llama.

attachment-1-300x225

Much of the work at the farm is centered on breeding the alpacas. Females can have one baby, or cria, per year. The Tillmans often breed a female only 14 days after she has given birth. Until breeding time, however, male and female alpacas must be kept apart, because alpacas are apparently “very frisky.” Carol explained that they had several “breakout, or unplanned, babies” last year. In addition, Moonlit Farm sells alpaca breeding stock to other farms. A breeding alpaca can go for as much as $10,000.

Alpacas, which originate in South America and are related to both the camel and the llama, are highly valued for their fur, known as fiber. Alpaca fiber is soft and incredibly warm. The alpacas at Moonlit Farm are sheared once a year for their fiber, which the Tillmans sell to companies across the United States.

Yet the farm is more than just a business for the Tillmans.

“Each alpaca has a very distinct personality,” said Carol, who, along with farm manager Josh Kennett, is not afraid to show her attachment to the animals. At the farm, each alpaca is introduced by its name. Carol even picked up a cria, and whispered “hello gorgeous” to it while holding it like a baby. The alpacas at Moonlit farm are clearly seen more as members of the family than just moneymakers by the Tillmans.

After going through the difficulty of Hurricane Katrina, the Tillmans know the importance of community giving. In response to the oil spill in the gulf coast earlier this year, they were ready to mail many bags of alpaca fiber to affected communities, where the fiber would act like a sponge to soak up oil. Although the communities did not need the fiber from the Tillmans, Carol said she would be quick to try to help again, if necessary. In addition, Moonlit Farm also works with Middlebury High School’s “Diversified Occupations Group,” teaching job skills to high school students.

Moonlit Alpaca Farm is located only a few minutes from campus going north on Rt. 125 and has visiting hours every day. If school is stressing you out, a trip to the farm could be just the relief you need; alpacas are known to be soothing, and are even used as therapy animals.