We Need to Start Talking About Mental Health

Oct. 7 - 13 is National Mental Health Awareness Week — seven short days when we are encouraged to confront a topic many of us try to avoid all year long. Think about it — how often do we actually discuss mental health issues? Middlebury students are quite comfortable addressing a variety of social topics, including sexuality, race, socioeconomic status and others. One would expect the same openness and acceptance towards the plethora of issues surrounding mental health, right? Well, bluntly stated, we could be doing much, much more.

Let me provide a bit of context. Mental health issues are a serious concern on college campuses across the country. In fact, one in four college students struggle with mental health problems each year, including, but not limited to, depression and anxiety. This statistic makes sense when we consider that many mental health issues first manifest in the late teens or early twenties, and are often triggered by outside influences such as stress or drugs (both of which can be found in abundance on college campuses nationwide). Fortunately, the National Alliance on Mental Illness reports that relief from mental health issues can be achieved 70 to 90 percent of the time — as long as a patient is properly diagnosed and treated. Shockingly, two-thirds of college students in need do not seek help, including those who are thinking about suicide. Considering the fact that suicide is the second leading cause of death for college-aged individuals, this statistic is extremely alarming. If mental illness is diagnosable and treatable, why do so many college students avoid seeking help? Although a variety of factors exist, the U.S. Surgeon General reports that the stigma associated with issues of mental health is a major barrier preventing students from seeking help.

These facts are not meant to dampen your mood. Rather, they should illustrate the effects that our attitudes can have on those struggling with mental illness. We could all benefit from discussing mental health and wellbeing more openly. So, how do we start? As a Student Wellness Leader, I believe that the key is to better understand mental health in general so that we can ensure our own mental wellbeing. By doing so, we can create a safe community for others struggling with mental health issues. We can educate ourselves in a variety of ways, particularly by accessing the many resources Middlebury has to offer. Although few are aware, the College is extremely committed to providing the resources necessary for students to take responsibility for their mental health. For example, Parton Health Center provides short-term counseling and referrals at low-cost, and several student support groups meet weekly to provide support for issues including grief and sobriety. In addition, the CTLR offers one-on-one appointments to provide lessons in time-management and mechanisms for reducing stress.

Educating ourselves on mental health can benefit us in two ways. First, it directly helps us to understand our own mental well-being so that we can take charge of ensuring our own health. Second, it broadens our understanding of mental health on campus, thus lessening the stigma that prevents so many students in need from seeking help.
I don’t mean to undermine the courageous efforts of students who have sought assistance for their mental health issues. That being said, I can’t help but wonder just how many more students would seek help if we could change the perceptions toward mental health on our campus. Of course, this change won’t happen overnight, and by no means do I expect it to. However, in light of Mental Health Awareness Week, I hope that we will take advantage of this opportunity and redefine campus culture towards mental health — or at least take the critical first steps towards ensuring such a positive change. Does that seem too daunting of a goal? Well, it shouldn’t — in fact, now is the perfect time to act. So while you’re listening to the Dalai Lama speak about compassion and hope this weekend, think about how you can bring these principles to campus. Or, as you’re relaxing over fall break, take some time to rebalance your own mental well-being.

Mental health is not a “them” and “us” issue — it affects everyone. Only once we become aware of that fact can the stigma associated with mental health finally be stopped. Only then will we all be able to truly take care of ourselves and those around us.