Community Service Opportunities

Additional information and contact phone numbers can be found online at www.middlebury.edu/~slse/.

Addison County Chamber of Commerce: Needs assistance with project research, publication development and developing community profile.

Addison County Community Action Group: Thrift store in need of volunteers to assist with sorting, pricing and Web site design.

Addison House Community Care Home: Do crafts, read or visit with elderly persons on a weekly basis.

Addison County Community Trust: Assist with nonprofit housing and land trusts to help local families and farmers.

Addison County Home Health and Hospice: Care for terminally ill patients and those suffering from grief.

Addison County Humane Society Shelter: In need of volunteers for activites including dog walking, care and maintenance, lawn care and database management.

Champlain Valley Head Start: Provide help and care for families with young children in the form of classroom and office assistance.

CareNet Pregnancy Center: Looking for peer counselors with strong religious affiliation for women in need. Must be willing to commit weekly.

Community Associates Independent Living Program: Book club for the developmentally disabled welcomes volunteers to join in group book discussions.

Henry Sheldon Museum: Help needed in objects collection in history and archaeology several hours during the week.

Ilsley Public Library: Assist in developing information services and conducting reading and homework help programs for elementary school children.

Community
Service
Opportunities

Learning to Skate Program: The Middlebury Area Hockey Association is looking for volunteers to teach children ages three to seven to skate and play hockey.

Middlebury Business Association: Assist with event planning, write newsletter articles, conduct surveys, develop marketing plans and design Web pages.

Middlebury Land Trust, Inc.: Study local flora and fauna, help with land conservation and introduce grade school children to local wildlife, plants, trees and flowers.

Middlebury Parks and Recreation Department: Seasonal volunteers needed to coach basketball, lacrosse, baseball, flag football and other outdoor sports.

Middlebury Union High School: Tutors for high school students needed in the afternoons for a variety of subjects.

Middlebury Volunteer Ambulance Association: Members work directly with patients under the supervision of experienced medical personnel and drive ambulances.

People of Addison County Together, Inc.: Help with a voluntary partnership to promote a healthy community by chaperoning youth activities and mentoring.

Porter Medical Center: Assist with hospital procedures in the emergency room, physical therapy department and surgical unit.

Restorative Justice Program: Participate in monthly volunteer community boards that hear cases on criminal justice.

Retired and Senior Volunteer Services: Coordinate projects for senior citizens such as a home knitting and crocheting program or a clown troupe to visit rest homes.

Round Robin Thrift and Consignment Shop: Volunteer activities include sorting, pricing and tagging merchandise and customer service.

Vermont Odyssey of the Mind: Judges wanted for creative youth problem solving tournaments.