Nelson Ceremony Honors the 'Duke'

Author: David Lindholm

Duke Nelson Arena, the one-time home to the Middlebury Panther hockey teams has undergone a massive transformation both in terms of appearance and function. However, the arena still stands in homage to the achievements and contributions of one great man: Walter J. "Duke" Nelson '32. On Saturday night, the Duke Nelson Arena was rededicated with a plaque and photos of the legendary coach next to the entrance to the new all-purpose space.

Duke Nelson was a standout both on and off the ice for Middlebury in his time; the four-year letter winner captained the ice hockey squad his senior year, and also graduated cum laude in 1932. He immediately joined the coaching ranks at Middlebury, heading up the hockey team starting in the season after his graduation. After four seasons he moved on to Union College and also had a short stint at Rochester Polytechnic Institute before returning to Middlebury in 1946, ready to fulfill his promise as one of the greatest and most dedicated coaches in Middlebury history.

Nelson was also Middlebury's most versatile coach. He also headed up the football and golf programs, in addition to hockey, for over 20 years. His coaching credentials also included five seasons at the helm of both the lacrosse and baseball teams. The athletic director from 1956 to 1969, Nelson had many achievements and honors come his way over the course of his career.

Hugh Marlow '59, now the executive secretary of the Alumni Association, had "the pleasure and the honor" of playing under Nelson for four years on the hockey team and two years on the lacrosse team. Marlow also worked closely with Nelson on the fledgling women's hockey club. "He was a very special part of my Middlebury experience," said Marlow. "I think that the same would be said by the others that played for him as well. He was a wonderful source of information and knowledge."

Even when he retired in 1969, Nelson was never far from campus, as he returned in 1981 to head up the newly-formed varsity women's hockey team. Nelson was an active member of the community until his death in 1989.

On Saturday night, the athletic department and the College paid tribute to Nelson once again, at the official re-dedication of the new Nelson Arena. The ceremony included a 45-minute session where students demonstrated some of the many uses of the facility.

Athletic Director Russ Reilly said, "[The ceremony] was to acknowledge the generosity of the alumni donors who made the project possible through their gifts," but also as a reminder of Nelson's commitment to the College and sports. The re-dedication was attended by members of the faculty, staff, Board of Trustees, and also invited were players from Nelson's many teams. The guest of honor, however, was Nelson's widowed wife, Marge.

"The best part was having Marge speak," said Marlow. "She had always remained on the sidelines [at such ceremonies] and we were delighted to hear her speak."

The arena stands as a testament to Nelson, and the plaque outside the entrance tells all to students using the facility. The plaque reads, "This building honors the career of Walter J. "Duke" Nelson '32 (1907-1989) who as a scholar-athlete, coach of men's and women's hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse and golf, and as the director of athletics, made a difference in the lives of hundreds of Middlebury students. Duke was a mentor and a friend to students, faculty, and staff and was an ambassador-at-large for the College throughout his 50 years of dedicated service."