Former President continues progressive actions

John McCardell, president emeritus of the College and current president at Sewanee, the University of the South recently announced a decision to cut the $46,000 annual tuition at the Tennessee school by 10 percent.

The decision came as a response to rising tuition costs that currently affect many small liberal arts colleges, especially in light of the recent economic downturn.

mccardell3

“Given the realities of higher education in the current economy, we believe that some college or university needed to step up and say, ‘Enough,’” McCardell told the New York Times.

“Sewanee's policy will not affect our thinking,” wrote President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz in an e-mail. “We [are] already committed to a comprehensive fee limiting policy that will not sacrifice key aspects of the College's priorities: financial aid, small classes, meaningful out-of-classroom opportunities for students and competitive faculty and staff salaries.”

According to a financial plan released in February 2010, the College limits its annual tuition increase at one percent above the Consumer Price Index.

Sewanee administrators and trustees hope the move will entice students considering less expensive public universities as well as students looking at other similar institutions that will likely be raising tuition costs for the fall.

"Higher education is, as you undoubtedly know, on the verge of pricing itself beyond the reach of more and more families," warned McCardell in a video posted on Sewanee’s web site.

New York Times: Bucking Trend, College Will Cut Price