New Safety Phones to be Installed

Author: Campus Editor in Chief

Student Government Association (SGA) President Brian Elworthy '02.5 announced plans to place four additional emergency phones around campus in the coming month. Even though the call box units have already arrived, Facilities Management must await final approval from Director of Public Safety Lisa Boudah and Dean of Student Affairs Ann Hanson before installing them.

Emergency phones will be placed at the front entrance to Bicentennial Hall, in the handicapped accessible parking lot at Twilight Hall, in the parking lot between Centeno and the Service Building and outside of the Fitness Center.

Elworthy said that the Twilight Hall phone would enable students to contact MiddRides on their way back from downtown bars, which he feels is important in the absence of a regular shuttle service.

He added, "Since we are locking dorms it is obviously imperative that students have telephones within convenient walking distance from residence halls," noting that the SGA also installed phones outside of McCullough Student Center and Proctor Hall in early November.

Commenting on the process of selecting new sites for the phones, Elworthy said, "We look at a map and plot where the current phones are located, seeing where there is a void that needs to be filled."