Evacuation from Syria recap

On March 8, Root arrived in Syria to study Arabic at the University of Damascus.

On March 14 Root began classes.

On March 18 Root was arrested by the Syrian secret police as he was walking in Old City after the Friday prayers. When the people began coming out of the mosques, Tik took a photo with his BlackBerry. Plain clothed members of Syria’s secret police immediately arrested him, and ushered him into a Suburban. He attempted to use his passport as evidence that he was an American exchange student, but Syrian authorities believed he was a CIA agent or a journalist.

He was interrogated twice over the course of his time in prison, though was never physically abused.

From March 18-March 24 Tik was kept captive in a secret prison on Baghdad Street in Damascus. He was put in a 3 foot by 7 foot holding cell with one other Syrian captive.

From March 24-April 1 Tik was moved to a larger holding cell, approximately 10 feet by 12 feet, with about 22 other people. Most of the other prisoners were uneducated Syrians.

On March 31 Tik was taken out of his holding cell and moved to an immigration hall where the Syrians “pretended to be nice to him.”

On April 1 Tik was released. The U.S. Embassy official came to the integration hall to get Tik and then he went to the US Embassy.

On April 2 Tik was deported and flew into Boston’s Logan International Airport, where, after an extensive interrogation by immigration officials, he was received by his parents and members of the Boston Globe staff. By the time he got home, he had over 250 emails and many interview requests, about half of which he turned down.

Looking forward Tik is taking the rest of the semester off, and plans to take time to thank all those involved. He has no summer plans as of yet. To the student body, he says “Don’t let this stop you from going abroad … especially in the Middle East. The Arab people are just absolutely amazing. You learn something new every day.”