Middbrief: Biology professor receives teaching award

On April 7, Associate Professor of Biology Jeremy Ward was awarded the 2011 Perkins Award for Teaching Excellence. The annual award honors outstanding teaching in math and science, with a specific focus on the natural sciences.

ward

Dean of Curriculum and Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry Bob Cluss presented the award at a ceremony Thursday afternoon in McCardell Bicentennial Hall.

“The Perkins award is a great opportunity to celebrate teaching,” Cluss said. “Professor Ward’s comments today really show his passion for teaching and spoke to the heart of what the faculty and students envision at Middlebury.”

The Perkins award is presented to a single professor each year, alternating between the mathematics and science departments yearly. Made possible by Middlebury graduate Dr. Ruth M.H. Perkins ‘32, the award was established in memory of her husband Professor Llewellyn R. Perkins. The recipient receives a grant for the support of further professional development and is determined by a vote from both students and faculty.

For many students, Ward is a deserving recipient of this year’s award.

“I think that he is one of the best teachers on this campus because he epitomizes accessibility, efficiency and downright intelligence in his classes,” said Alex Lin-Moore ’12. “I've taken three classes with him since [my] first year, and every time I am amazed not only by just how much information he knows, but also by how accessible he makes it to all his students.”

Additional presenters of the award included Anne Runkel ’11, who spoke to Ward’s dedication to teaching and his students.

“Professor Ward works with his students in a way that reinforces class material with encouragement and enthusiasm,” Runkel ’11 said. “His own thirst for knowledge and the energy he puts into sharing it ignites student interest into learning far beyond class material.”

Ward was especially proud of the award because it reflected appreciation of his teaching.

“I think one of the most gratifying aspects of the Perkins award is that the nominations come from the students,” he wrote in an email. “It means a tremendous amount to any teacher when their students voice such positive and public appreciation.”

Ward has been a member of the Middlebury faculty since 2003, after receiving his B.A. and Ph.D. from Cornell University in cell biology and genetics. He is currently teaching courses in Human Genetics and Bioinformatics and Genomics.