College Explores Automated Security System Option

Author: Claire Bourne

Dr. Adam Thermos of the Strategic Technology Group, a Massachusetts-based security consulting company, outlined several options for an automated security system at Middlebury College before a joint session of the Student Government Association (SGA) and Community Council on Monday. Thermos' visit came three months after an incident of armed robbery and assault in Hadley Hall that prompted the College to lock residence hall doors as a safety precaution.

The Community Council subcommittee on public safety, working under a charge from President John McCardell to assess the state of campus safety, will discuss Thermos' proposal this week and issue a recommendation "about whether to move forward with Dr. Thermos" to the Council at its March 18 meeting, Dean of Student Affairs Ann Hanson said. "If they recommend him and [Community Council] concurs, then we would make that recommendation to [Acting] President [Ronald] Liebowitz," she continued.

Among Thermos' proposals was the implementation of a proximity card system that would allow students to enter their dormitories, and eventually all academic and administrative buildings, by approaching a scanner with a card similar to the current MiddCard. Once the security device reads the card, whether in the student's hand, a backpack or a jacket pocket, the door would automatically unlock.

"The [proximity card] is the most convenient system for students," explained Stefanie Beyer '02, a member of the Community Council subcommittee. Beyer, who represented the subcommittee during a visit to Thermos' Millford, Mass., office this month, said the card would retain its existing swiping capabilities while having to give up the money-loading chip.

"The reason for looking into card access is to provide greater access to all students while at the same time securing the residence halls," said Director of Public Safety and Associate Dean of Student Affairs Lisa Boudah.

According to Thermos, the system would allow for a certain degree of flexibility in that public safety personnel could decide when the automated doors would be universally accessible and when, for example, the doors of a certain dormitory would be accessible only to those living in that building.

Both the SGA and Community Council responded positively to the adaptability of Thermos' proposal.

"This is a big project. There are a lot of issues we need to address as a community," said Student Co-Chair of Community Council Erica Rosenthal '02.

"The place where the SGA is concerned is how the system will be used. [Thermos] is merely providing the system," said Speaker of the SGA Senate Kevin King '02.

Hanson said she anticipated that "students would be involved in establishing protocol." Thermos has, in fact, requested student participation in the process, she added.

Thermos assured those present at Monday's meeting that his proposed system was not intended to make the campus less accessible. "I've heard some dirty words here like 'lockdown,'" he said. "That's not what we're talking about here."

"He urged us to view this project as one of enhanced access, a term that I feel should remain central to our vision," Beyer affirmed.

Thermos maintained that, despite incidents of break-ins and theft, the College "shouldn't go overboard" when instituting a security plan. "We need to keep the campus open," he said. "These systems are designed to make sure life is simple, happy and unobstructed."

The project would take between nine and 11 months to complete and could cost anywhere between $250,000 and $700,000, Thermos pointed out.

Because campuses need to be "psychologically ready" for a change of this magnitude, he continued, the automated security system would be phased gradually into College life.

"Students would love it if we could have this tomorrow," Beyer affirmed. "If a push comes from the powers that be, [the project] may be completed sooner than nine to 11 months."

Installing proximity card scanners on residence hall entrance doors would most likely be the institution's first priority, while academic, athletic and administrative facilities would fall under the project's second phase.

In addition, said Beyer, "Students will be asked to identify what should be included in phase one [of the project]."

"The goal," said King, "is to have the first round of enhanced security as soon as possible. We need to get out of the status quo."

Rosenthal seconded King, saying, "We are all frustrated with the status quo. We are working to put a system in place within a reasonable timeframe to gain the accessibility we all desire as a community."

King said that the College's main goal during the interim months should be to improve the current security plan under which all dormitory doors are locked between 1 and 6 a.m. "We have to work to get a short-term plan until the enhanced system is available," he stated. This, he continued, would consist of reducing the "lockdown" hours for social houses as well as secondary and tertiary dormitory entrances.

In addition, he said he hoped the College would use the summer months to ensure that all room keys worked in the corresponding residence hall entrance locks, as many residents in both Forest Hall and Le Château have been unable to access these buildings after 1 a.m. due to faulty locks and keys. Boudah said that Facilities Management would look into the problem.