Sweet Tomatoes, Bi-Hall Picnics Proctor-less Days Inspire Creative Ways to Fend Off the Munchies

Author: Julie Samara Staff Writer

At around midnight Wednesday, the official start of fall break, panic swept the hungry crowd seated in our room—-where could we go for food without our beloved Grille? First Proctor closes, now this? Without our regular meal sources and late-night snack saviors, staying on campus for break meant going off campus for food. That night, after blissfully remembering a bag of stale pretzels, a few of us who stayed at Middlebury last week made a Fall break pact: we wouldn't eat one dinner in Hamlin. We discovered some great alternative dining options on those three Proctor-free nights, all of which provided the homey atmosphere and delicious fare we had been craving.

Thursday night we had dinner worlds away from Middining: my house. Mom and Dad, overjoyed that I finally "took my friends home for dinner," treated us to homemade vegetarian pizza, fatoosh salad, and apple crisp à la mode for dessert. If you have a friend who lives in the Burlington area, suggest a home-cooked meal; nothing spells "off-campus" quite like a cozy evening home with the folks.

Inspired by Thursday's dinner, we decided to fend for ourselves Friday evening and headed to Shaw's. Armed with ziti, marinara sauce, goat cheese, and a few secret ingredients (courtesy of Hamlin), we prepared a picnic—and not just any picnic: a Bicentennial Hall picnic. To rescue a friend held hostage by a six-to-eight pager, we spread out our feast in a fourth-floor niche, sparkling cider and all. It was funny and a bit eerie to eat in this traditionally stressed-out place. Replacing papers with pasta, we looked down upon empty chairs and darkened hallways from new heights of college dining. Undoubtedly the most fun Friday night we'll ever spend in Bi Hall, our sketchy picnic was a hit.

More Italian, anyone? Saturday night, after working up a powerful hunger in Burlington shops, we ate our final dinner on Church Street at Sweet Tomatoes Trattoria. This traditional Italian restaurant, a Marketplace favorite, features a custom-built wood fired oven, a hardwood charcoal grill, and a good selection of regional dishes. Our party appreciated the warm, bustling atmosphere (though far from Proctor lunch rush level) and excellent meals. For a yummy and reasonably priced off-campus dining experience, call Sweet Tomatoes for a reservation (802-660-9533)

Saying goodbye to our mini-vacation from dining hall cuisine, we felt ready to return to Middining after covering the bases of off-campus food. Even when class is in session, having a dinner at home, cooking in the dorm, and dining out all provide a tasty break from campus life.