College Health Facts and Stats

— The average ejaculation contains between 200 and 500 million sperm.
— The average time a sperm survives in the female reproductive tract is three to four days.
— 90 percent of Middlebury students had not engaged in high risk sexual behavior such as having sex without a condom.
— According to Federal Bureau of Investigation estimates, one in three women will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.
— 75 percent of sexual assaults are committed by an acquaintance.
— The American Medical Association estimates that a woman is sexually assaulted every 45 seconds.
— Over two-thirds of men involved in sexual assaults at one university had been drinking at the time of the incident, compared to half of the female victims.
— The higher the average number of drinks per week, the lower the grade point average.
—Studies of suicide victims in the general population show that about one-fifth of such victims are alcoholics.
— 30 percent of colleges reported at least one suicide in 2001.
— 9.5 percent of college students have seriously contemplated suicide.
— 1.5 percent of students have attempted suicide.
— Most headaches (95 percent) are either migraine or tension type (muscle contraction) headaches.
— Headaches can be reduced by eliminating caffeine and alcohol.
— Nearly one third of those infected with hepatitis B don't know where, when or how they were exposed.
— 24 percent of college students use tobacco products more than three times a week.
— 16 percent of Middlebury Students use tobacco products more than three times a week.

Sources: ETR Associates, American College Health Association, U.S. News and World Report and VAX.