Young Alumni Leader Nostalgic About Middlebury Days The View From the Outside is Not One of Dining Complaints, but Rather Envy of Student Lifestyle. A Middlebury Alumnus Puts Things in Perspective

What an outstanding weekend. Usually I grocery shop and do laundry, but last weekend I attended Middlebury's Alumni Leadership Conference.
The fact is I'm an alumnus from the class of 1999; I'm not sure about leadership, though.
Coupling an invitation to Middlebury with an opportunity to see my cousin Aaron, who's a second-semester Feb, I embraced the opportunity.
Residing in less-than-idyllic Philadelphia made the decision even more attractive. I graduated three years ago, but the campus looks different.
Other than my cousin, I recognize nobody. Second, there are a few new buildings.
Finally, that most ubiquitous of Vermont animals — the rhinoceros — represents Ross Commons.
Studying biochemistry, I spent my time as a Middlebury student in what is now a construction site. I played ice hockey on what is now a tennis court.
My weekend dining experiences, which lasted three hours whether brunch or dinner, occurred in a dining hall that doesn't operate on weekends anymore.
A parking lot once stood where LaForce is. Ross Lounge, which actually was a lounge, is a cadre of suites.
A gigantic bubble replaced the beloved Field House. The current first-years are the best class that's ever been admitted; my class once held that distinction, but no more.
New buildings and students aside, Middlebury's still Middlebury. There was a huge crowd of half-conscious students taking in the Middlebury soccer game on Saturday.
The golf course was in full swing on Sunday. The library filled with students finishing papers Sunday night.
KDR fought the never-ending battle between loud dance music and opening the windows to cool the dance floor.
MiddKids, although eating off a Mongolian Grill — I'm still amazed by that, a Mongolian Grill — stumbled into Sunday brunch and recapped Saturday night.
Every one of the alumni, from the class of 1936 to the class of 2002, who was back this weekend, would gladly trade places with each and every one of you.
We're all jealous, and we all want to be first-years again. I came back less to be an "alumni leader" than to live vicariously through Aaron and the rest of you.
Everything you have — the buildings, the professors, the bubble, the Mongolian Grill, even the rhino — I'd gladly start all over to have it. However, I have graduated.
I trust that Aaron, his suitemates and the rest of you are taking good care of Middlebury.
The next time you're in the Great Hall, where you can sit in one of the state's most comfortable chairs, look out the biggest window in the neighborhood, and watch the sunset over the Adirondacks, just remember alums like me.
I want one of those chairs and I want that view. Keep an eye on both of them.

Pete Steinberg '99