1 in 8700: Richard Cole

Though he did not know it at the time, Richard Cole’s decision to join a scout group as a freshman at Middlebury Union High School (MUHS) would have meaningful implications long after his days as a student. His involvement in the organization, which worked with the town’s fire department, eventually led him to a career in firefighting. Chief of the Middlebury Fire Department for the past 14 years, Cole remains fully committed to the community.

“I never had any thoughts of being chief,” said Cole, who has 36 years of experience as a fire fighter.

When the fire departments of East Middlebury and Middlebury merged and the chief at that time retired, Cole was persuaded by others to take the job himself.

“I have not regretted it,” he said. “I have actually enjoyed it.”

After graduating from MUHS in 1963, Cole left the area to pursue his interest in photography. He attended Germain School of Photography in New York City for a year before working for a photographer in Rutland for an additional two years. He decided to return to his hometown to work at his family’s business, Cole’s Flowers and Frames, which his grandfather started in 1937. It was then that Cole became adviser of the same scout group to which he belonged in high school. From this position, his fate was essentially sealed: he became a member of the department, receiving his training at the Middlebury Fire Station.

“I think the fire service in general tends to be a family,” said Cole. “There are times when your life depends on the other guy, so you become pretty close.”

Cole knows and trusts each of his fellow members, some of whom have been working nearly as long as he has.

“If any member ever needs help there is always a member there that is willing to give them a hand,” he said.

As all who work at the fire department are volunteers who are paid on call, many hold other jobs. For years, Cole worked for his father at Cole’s Flowers and Frames, a business he eventually took over and ran himself. Though he closed it five years ago, it only took a month for his daughter to re-open the store, which is still in business today.             Currently, Cole works for a mail-order pharmacy, though he is planning to retire in three weeks so he can spend more time with his family. He is looking forward to driving across the country to visit his son, a firefighter who works with a paramedic in the state of Washington.

“Usually we fly, but we have always said we would like to drive it,” said Cole, who is planning a five-week driving adventure so he has “enough time to see some sights.” He plans to drive out west along a southern route, and return to Vermont on a northern path.

Though excited for more free time, Cole remains dedicated to his work at the fire department, and he intends to devote more hours to the station and the administrative aspects of his job. His retirement from position of fire chief is “probably not too long down the road,” but for now Cole is more than content to continue his work in Middlebury — despite the harsh climate.

“Winters, as you get older, they get longer,” he said. “I think of other places, but I still do not see myself going anywhere else.”

As fire chief, Cole has been called to a vast array of scenes. Though volunteers may not fight fires often, they respond to calls related to faulty smoke detectors or carbon monoxide alarms. They also deal with “car accidents, fuel spills from automobiles or home heating systems.” Just last week, Cole’s team responded to a call about high winds that left live wires down on Rte. 116. On average, the department receives three calls per week.

“We get quite involved in the community,” said Cole, whose most memorable call resulted in a three-day, around-the-clock effort to clean up gasoline that spilled out of 11 cars on a train passing through Middlebury. His team also had to put out a small fire that started after the crash.

“Fortunately, [the train] was going slow and they rolled over slowly,” said Cole. “That was a big challenge and a very time-consuming event.”

His decades of experience in the field of firefighting prove a strong foundation for his leadership in the department. The chief is always up for any task, as his favorite part of his job is directing a scene.

“I find it a challenge to determine what needs to be done to get the job done,” he said. “Each one is different.”

In addition, Cole prides himself on maintaining a strong connection to the College. He enjoys seeing interaction between student volunteers and older members of the department, and is also confident that his team works well with authorities on campus.

“Our working relationship with the College is really good, and it has improved tremendously over the last 10 years,” said Cole. “If we have to go up there for some kind of a call, they are always extremely cooperative and willing to work with us to get the job done.”

Throughout his years living in Middlebury, Cole has seen the town change in numerous ways. Growing up, he could have bought anything he needed on Main St., as there were then two grocery stores. With the expansion of services farther from downtown Middlebury, such a convenience no longer exists, yet Cole has liked seeing the town develop in new ways.

“The town has changed a lot, but I guess I want to look at changes as good,” he said.

There is little doubt in Cole’s mind that Middlebury is the place for him.

“It has been a good sized town to fill this role and I have enjoyed it a lot,” he said.