Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

When wearing their berets, poets should stick to poetry. By creating a public spectacle ("Poets Stage Anti-War Reading," The Middlebury Campus, Feb. 19, 2003) otherwise talented individuals put themselves in the same discredited class as delusional Hollywood celebrities who employ their media recognition to self-righteously scold our government.

I admire and enjoy the work of Jay Parini, Galway Kinnell and some of the others mentioned in your article, but the badge of poet does not confer on them any special moral credential and their political activism only cheapens the currency of their art. Wiser is the stance of Billy Collins, current Poet Laureate of the United States who avoids a reporter's invitation to criticize our national leadership (New York Times Magazine, Feb. 23, 2003). In doing so, he elevates both himself and his worthy title.

-- John Lord '67

To the Editor:

In Edward Pickering's article "Alumnus Acquitted of Sexual Assault," he makes numerous references to the "plaintiff." Mr. Pickering, and the copy editors of The Middlebury Campus, apparently watch bad courtroom drama on too regular of a basis. Criminal trials do not have plaintiffs. In a criminal proceeding in Vermont, the State, not the victim, brings charges against a defendant. Kudos to Devin Zatorski, who does not make the same mistake in "Assault Charges Brought Against Student."

-- David K. Cohen '01

To the Editor:

Any citizen, such as the poet who refers to our chief executive and leader as a "Damn President," should pack his or her bags and leave for Iraq. ("Poets Stage Anti-War Reading," The Middlebury Campus, Feb. 19, 2003) We have wonderful rights in the United States which includes leaving any time you do not like it. Thank You.

-- Richard J. Price '49

To the Editor:

In your Feb. 19 edition, you report that "housing availability [on campus in summer 2003] will be further limited by the new Portuguese Language School which opens this summer." ("Summer Employment Living Costs Surge," The Middlebury Campus, Feb. 19, 2003)

Myriad factors are contributing to the allocation of somewhat limited housing this year. The Portuguese School has been long planned for and, as a wonderful addition to the Middlebury Language Schools, will take its rightful place in the use of all College facilities. Once renovations and construction abate, we anticipate being able to accommodate all those who live, work and study on campus throughout the year.

-- Michael R. Katz,
Dean of Language Schools and Schools Abroad