The Student Newspaper at Middlebury College

Middlebury Campus

Women in the News: Key to HIV Cure Found

By Tara Hughes

In today’s age of rapid innovation and discovery, there is no shortage of female doctors and scientists gracing the headlines and receiving recognition for their successes. One such woman, Dr. Deborah Persaud, is at the forefront of pediatric HIV/AIDS research and is known most recently for her role in the announcement of a cured, Mississippi baby born with HIV.

Persaud’s preeminence in the field of HIV/AIDS research is a result of a long road of hard work and perseverance. Currently an associate professor at the John’s Hopkins Children’s Center, where she began research on pediatric HIV in 1997, Persaud doubles as the director of the center’s infectious disease fellowship program.

In February 2005, Persaud won the Elizabeth Glaser Scientist Award. Each year, the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatrics AIDS Foundation presents this prestigious award to several HIV/AIDS researchers. In 2005, Persaud was the award’s only recipient. The grant money she received allowed her research to develop further, particularly in regard to HIV/AIDS therapy methods in the U.S. and Ethiopia.

A 2012 grant awarded to Persaud and her colleague Dr. Katherine Luzuriaga of the University of Massachusetts Medical School made the Mississippi baby’s cure possible. The grant, awarded by the Foundation for AIDS Research, allowed Persaud and Luzuriaga to focus more specifically on HIV infection in infants.

Persaud’s role in this cure lies in the investigation and publication of the study that resulted in the baby’s cure. The New York Times and the Huffington Post offer further information on the story, in which Persaud is identified as the lead author of the report on the baby.

Two and a half years ago, a pregnant woman who had not being receiving any prenatal care, and who was unaware of her HIV positive status, arrived at a rural Mississippi hospital to give birth to her premature child. Upon running tests on the new mother, doctors discovered that she was indeed HIV positive and therefore her baby was at a very high risk of also having the infection that causes the AIDS virus.

After being transferred to the University of Mississippi hospital, the baby was given proper medical attention. Instead of waiting to run tests to confirm whether or not the baby was HIV positive, doctors decided to give the baby the full, standard component of treatment. By the time the baby was a month old virus levels were imperceptible.

The mother continued bringing her baby in for treatment but suddenly stopped coming to the hospital after 18 months of drugs had been administered. Five months later, the mother and baby reappeared. Doctors expected viral levels in the baby to have surged with five months of no medication but all tests were negative. The baby has now been off of medication for a year now with no signs of infection.

The science behind the success story suggests that timing was a significant factor in the baby’s cure. Being treated so quickly eradicated the infection from the baby’s blood stream before it could form reservoirs in the body. When reservoirs manifest, the infection can lay dormant and unaffected by drugs, capable of reentering the blood stream at any time.

Though it is unusual for babies in the US to be born with HIV, due to prenatal treatment that prevents transmission from mother to child, the same cannot be said for most parts of the world where infection rates are highest. The Huffington Post reports that 300,000 to 400,000 babies are born each year with HIV — sub-Saharan Africa being the most significantly infected region of the world. Further investigation of this Mississippi baby’s success story could offer significant implications for curbing incidences of HIV transmission via pregnancy.

In early March, Persaud and several researchers presented the study’s findings at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Atlanta, Ga. Persaud and her colleagues were able to confirm that both the baby and the mother were HIV positive at the time of the baby’s birth and that today, there are no signs of infection in the child.

6 Responses to “Women in the News: Key to HIV Cure Found”

1. Cieble Jen on June 7th, 2014 7:42 pm

I am cieble jen from Uk, i navel believe that hiv cure is real on till i got in contact with Dr. dr abiola, my HIV stated eight years ago, i was even waiting for death because all my money went out for drug, which keep me till today, one day i saw in the interment that HIV cure is out i then email Dr abiola and he prepare the herb for me which i took, after taking it he told me to go to the hospital which i did, could you believe that i was confirm HIV negative after the test, and i went to another hospital and it was also negative. if you have this problem and you want to be free from it please contact this doctor with this email address [email protected] , he is the best HIV cure you will find in the whole world. thank you Dr abiola am free now,,,,,,

[Reply]

2. benji on March 22nd, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi friends, am from USA, I want to share a testimony on how a spell caster (DR.Agbadi) helped me in getting rid of my HIV disease, I was diagnosed of this deadly disease in the year 2010, ever since I was not myself, I thought I lost everything, I was in pain, one faithful day I was searching through the internet people in getting rid of their deadly disease, I contacted him, he gave me a form to fill, I filled it, he asked me to buy me some items, I couldn’t find the items but he told me that he can buy them for me, I sent him the money for the items, he bought the items and casted the spell, he then asked me to go for medical check-up which I did, friends I didn’t believe what I saw, I was tested HIV negative, friends am still in shock, I promised to tell the world about him, you can get your healings today, you can email him on [email protected] or visit his website on http://dr-agbadi-home-of-solution.webs.com/:……

[Reply]

3. Dr Ayewah on April 21st, 2017 8:17 am

Before people said there is no cure on HIV/AIDS but today many people have now believe that there is a cure.of HIV/AIDS can

be cured through Africans root and harms,and days our great doctors have finally found the cure of HIV/AIDS, many have get

cured with the help of a great spell caster known as Dr Ayewah he is the one of the great spell doctor in Africa and he has

the cure on this disease HIV/AIDS. last month he share is Haber medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well

recognize as one of the best spell caster in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this

disease when the cure have already be found in 2011 the if you want to get in touch with him in private contact me on

whatsapp +2349032874171 or e-mail [email protected]

[Reply]

4. queen on April 26th, 2017 12:59 pm

GOOD morning my name queen joy barry i am from U S A am so very happy to share this
    testimony God bless Dr.GIGOLO for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV since 2017 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HIV out of my body system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about [email protected]) how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through COURIER POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 19 days later i was cured from HIV, Dr.gigolo truly you are great man, do you need his help also? Why don’t you visit his [email protected] if you are having a similar problem contact him through his WHATS-APP NUMBER +2348132891566, or contact him via email: [email protected] is also good in saving you from any kind of diseases like Helps,Gonorrhea,Cardiac problem Cancer,Watering sperm,Womb fertilization,Penis erection,Witch craft attack,S T D diseases,Internal heart,Rashes,Low sperm count,Dairy and any long time sickness i promise that i will always testify for your good work

[Reply]

5. Melinda on April 27th, 2017 6:38 pm

Melinda

i live in USA i bought the herbs that cured me of my hiv from Dr Barasa of [email protected] which was sent to me through a courier service after i sent payment as agreed i took the herbs as directed and was totally flushed off my HIV virus. Dr Barasa of [email protected] is a life saver and i am more than happy i never ignored the testimony i read about him which led to my contacting him you can also reach him through his email [email protected] there is no shame in sickness but pain i wish you total restoration as i am free

[Reply]

6. Benard on May 13th, 2017 3:07 pm

There has never been a more optimistic time in the world of AIDS research. New breakthroughs over the last several years have brought the scientific community a new understanding of the challenges that must be overcome to get to a cure. And there is growing confidence that, with the right investments, these challenges can be overcome.while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HIV have a cure,while i was once an HIV positive and i never believe that i was going to be cured i live with this disease for more than 3 years now, i have been to so many places for help including hospitals wasted times and money hoping that i was going to get cure but non was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease (HIV VIRUS) true the help of a man called DR.ATUKEMA with his herbal root herbs medicine. I want to thank Dr ATUKEMA for helping me get cure of my HIV DISEASES, for like years Now I have been suffering from HIV but one day as I was searching through the Internet I met a post about a woman called Silver Lisa, who was cured by Dr ATUKEMA so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can also contact him on [email protected] call him on +2347064693371/whats-app him. he is a great herbalist that treats and cure all manner of diseases like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, and solves life’s problems that you might have .contact him today and he will help you solved your problem his emial is [email protected] +2347064693371

[Reply]