letters to the editor

To the Editor:

Sept. 11, 2001 was an incredibly tragic event for both the United States and the world. Three thousand innocent people died, something that can never be undone and which has caused incredible repercussions both for Americans and people all over the world. Unfortunately, some people took the opportunity to try to benefit from the tragedy.

Through its poster campaign to commemorate the disaster of 9/11, the Young America's Foundation took advantage of a horrible disaster to promote a racist political agenda. The large "Never Forget" posters scattered across campus attempted to link a series of "anti-American" events dating from 1979 to a common sentiment of "Never Forget" and to tie this sentiment to the radical terrorist attacks of 9/11.

The pictures on the poster started with one of people burning an American flag and the caption "Flag Burning" and "2.28.98". Each subsequent picture has a similarly vague description and a date. These range from "Diplomats Held Hostage 11.14.79", to "Innocent Reporter Murdered 2.21.02" and "3,000 Civilians Murdered 9.11.01." The descriptions are vague and the only commonality is an apparent Arab similarity in appearance of a number of the people pictured.

Upon examining the Young America's Foundation web site, one can find that the goal of the posters is in fact "to ensure those murdered by Islamists are not forgotten." This is racist and promotes intolerance. First, not all people who appear to be Arab are Muslim. Second, not all Muslims are terrorists.

To promote a campaign that attempts to make these connections is wrong and has no place at Middlebury College. It is important to realize that while the events pictured can mostly be understood as tragedies, the perpetrators are most likely completely unrelated. The descriptions and pictures are ridiculously vague, and the poster demonstrates an intent to propagate racist stereotypes and intolerance.

In addition, we should remember that the 9/11 terrorist attack has had incredible consequences not only for Americans but the rest of the world as well. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have caused hundreds of thousands of casualties, many of them civilians and children, tortured prisoners at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo and an incredible loss of civil liberties and our personal rights as Americans. Never forget.

Sincerely,

Austen Levihn-Coon '07.5

To the Editor:

I live on Cider Mill Road and drive Routes 30 and 125 many times daily. I am terrified all too often by College students who do not seem to comprehend the dangers they pose to themselves and others while exercising along those routes. I see runners on the wrong side of the road in dark clothes wearing headphones ... huh? I see cyclists riding towards traffic without helmets. Worst of all, I see students walking, running or riding two or more abreast, even as they approach the rolls where cars cannot see if it is safe to give room. Perhaps many current students are unaware of the recent deaths along Rte. 125, but I'm not. While many students are safe, thoughtful and considerate of a busy state highway, it will only take one, doing something stupid, to create a horrific occurrence.

Please kids - run towards traffic, with bright clothes, in single file. Ride and roll with traffic, again in bright clothes, and in single file. And for your own safety, consider dumping the headphones while on such a busy road. If you must go out at twilight, use reflective gear.

I know part of the college experience is to be independent, and to make the transition into full adulthood, and that my harping is all too parental, but I can't help it. I don't want to hit someone.

Sincerely,

Chris Dayton '87