IMers Covet the Hallowed Moyer trophy

Author: Andrew Zimmermann

With the changing of the seasons from summer to fall comes the passion and craze associated with Middlebury intramural (IM) football. Indeed there are few other IM sports that can lure Middlebury graduates like Matt Waxman '01.5 and David Mills '01.5 to become "super-Febs" in order to lay everything on the line for the Max Moyer '02 Trophy as happened last year. Under the supervision of Eric "Gilby" Gilbertson '03, Doug Gascon '03 and others, this IM football season promises to one of intensity, blood, sweat and tears.
In an upset the magnitude of Pats – Rams, the Chocolate Salty Balls headed by seniors Derek Chicarilli and a long-haired Jim Shultz stole the wooden Moyer trophy from the Super Tuanis last year. Moyer and Andrew Strong '02 will not be making a Waxman-esque comeback for the trophy but Gilbertson and others promise to put up a great fight in this year's season.
Team Podwall from last year will certainly be dangerous if they can retain all its free agents like Dave Reisman '04, whose speed helped burn teams last year. Team New Direction will undoubtedly make some noise as one of the better underclassman squads.
While the remaining squads are question marks, some strong players are sure to be leading the way for their respective teams, no matter who is on them. Pat Rose '03 will be one of many seniors looking to field a championship-contending squad. Many others have been lured back stateside for the fortune and fame associated with the Moyer Trophy after having gone through a mid-life crisis and some mediocre years in NFL Europe. Andrew Gustafson '03 and Gascon are both coming off a convincing 42-15 championship victory in Britbowl 2002 as part of the London O's. Gustafson showed laser precision and had a rocket arm which will be useful in the touch football format of IM this season. A losing player from the P.A. Knights was heard to have said, "This guy is like Flutie only taller and from Illinios."
Gilbertson is coming off a successful season with the Scotland Claymores but had to be dumped because of salary cap issues. He will be back with avengence as the league commissioner and a team leader this fall.
The season promises "a grueling 10 plus game schedule," commented Gilbertson. Teams can still register online until 5 P.M Friday Sept. 13. Contact Bob Smith with questions concerning any of the other fall intramural sports which include soccer, volleyball, and tennis.