Field Hockey Set to Improve

Author: Andrew Zimmermann

In its second year under the tutelage of coach Katharine DeLorenzo, the Middlebury field hockey team is looking no place but up. The team finished 10–5 last year including a tough loss to Amherst in the New England Small College Athletic College (NESCAC) semifinals. Yet as with any team, the Panthers are looking to improve on their semifinal appearance.
When asked if this year's team could improve upon last season's results, co-captain Keely Murphy '04 said, "Absolutely."
The changes this year will be significant. Gone are All-American Julia Bergofsky '02 and her battery mates Billie Goldman '01.5 and Anna Hastings '02. This season also will bring in some new faces like Allison Smith '06 who started and contributed positively in a tough season opening loss to Skidmore 4-1.
"I think it was good to have a tough test to start the season," said Murphy of the 4-1 defeat. The Panthers however, at this time are still 0–0 in the NESCAC, the portion of their schedule which will determine their postseason fate. In conference Middlebury will be challenged by Amherst and Williams. The match-up with the Lord Jeffs will be especially important for Middlebury as it fell at the hands of Amherst 3-0 to end its season a year ago.
Despite some changes there will be some constants from this team in 2002. Char Glessner '03.5 will lead the attack as she did last year with the help of Missy Krempa '04. Jo Opot '05, originally from Kenya, will anchor the defense as the team's netminder. Opot started four games last year and recorded two shutouts.
The team will also continue to employ DeLorenzo's offensive strategy with field players spread the width of the field and a constant offensive force up front to take advantage of the no offsides rule. Some players like Murphy and co-captain Kate Perine '03 are continuing to adjust to the new style which was implemented just one year ago. Perine is the only senior on a team that will be bolstered by talent from the first-year and sophomore pool. Murphy is confident that any of the underclassmen can step in and perform if necessary.
Starting on Saturday, the field hockey team will embark on the NESCAC portion of its schedule versus Trinity at home on the turf After that, look for important games against both the Williams Ephs and the Amherst Lord Jeffs. With a strong 8-1 NESCAC performance last year, Middlebury will have to be on the top of its game to equal its success of a year ago.