There's More to Midd Than Parking and Paninis

Author: Richard Saunders

Ah yes, it must be fall. I know that because, just about the time leaves change color, a Middlebury student writes an article for The Campus on his or her outrage at the state of College food. Later this fall, I know when winter will arrive because another student will undoubtedly write to complain about how far he or she has to walk to reach a car located in some distant parking lot. But I digress.
This year's lament about food at Middlebury chastises the College and Dining Services in particular for all kinds of faults and failures: limited hours, marginal choices and "atrocious" results. The essay is quite impassioned.
When articles like this appear I always agree with the student that Middlebury College has failed. So I would like to be the first to say to Sarah McCabe '05 that I apologize for being part of an institution that has failed you. In saying this, my admission of guilt has nothing to do with the quality or quantity of College food, be it good, bad or indifferent. (For the record: I think the food is pretty good).
My admission of guilt is because I am part of an institution that has failed to adequately communicate to you and, apparently, some of your fellow students, the distinction between those things that are annoying and those things that truly warrant outrage (my "outrage" list at the moment includes, much of the world population's lack of access to potable water, Vermonters who don't have jobs, the invisible poor of Addison County, and, oh yes, possible war with Iraq). But to McCabe and any other students who haven't yet realized how fortunate they are to be here: College food ain't on the list. Nor is parking.
When students are outraged by such trivial issues as dining halls and parking, they have completely missed the reason why they were admitted to Middlebury in the first place. My guess is that no student who applies to this College has ever submitted, as evidence why he or she should be here, an essay on the "disgrace" of his or her high school cafeteria food. My guess is that the Admissions Office might find this about as impressive as a sickly looking potato.
So to any student in our midst who feels cheated by this College's perceived inadequacies, I would suggest you dispense with the sophomoric drivel and take a look at the world outside the Middlebury bubble. Within a blink of an eye you will be a Middlebury graduate and it will be your turn to help solve some of the world's problems. Don't waste your time worrying about panini or parking. It's time to get an education and, in so doing, grow up. That's why you came here, remember?

Richard Saunders is Director of the Middlebury College Museum of Art. He is also a Walter Cerf Distinguished Professor.