Two Brothers Tavern Offers Exceptional Taste at Low Price

Author: Matthew Christ

For a small New England town, Middlebury offers a wealth of dining opportunities. Choices range from the expensive and sophisticated to the common and cheap. There is, however, a void for a restaurant offering a combination of the two.
For years, Middlebury has needed a place where cheese steak sandwiches are on the same menu as steamed mussels; a restaurant where waiters wear ties but the walls are still decorated with alcohol paraphernalia. On Oct. 21, Middlebury got what it needed: The Two Brothers Tavern.
Begun by two actual brothers, Beal and Holmes Jacobs (who are the sons of Fletcher D. Proctor Professor of American History Travis Jacobs), Two Brothers Tavern is hoping to find its niche in the Middlebury dining and bar scene. The restaurant is located in the building previously occupied by Angela's Restaurant. With Angela's Pub still located in the basement, the entire building is sure to be packed on Thursday nights and throughout the weekend.
This is exactly what co-manager Beal Jacobs hopes. "We are going to offer crazy drink specials," he commented. "Eventually we will have different wine, beer and liquor specials on nights throughout the week."
Two Brothers Tavern has gotten along well with its downstairs neighbor, and Jacobs hopes that the combination of the two "will offer two great places to go on Thursday nights."
One of the greatest pitfalls of up-and-coming restaurants is the service. The managers of Two Brothers Tavern are fully aware of this, and have hired a large staff of waiters and bartenders to keep the Tavern running smoothly and the service solid — even on unusually crowded nights.
The Tavern is divided into a bar and a restaurant. The bar area has ample seating and offers a full menu, making it a great choice for a quick meal. The restaurant can hardly be considered a "tavern" because of its upscale décor and extensive menu. The restaurant component of Two Brothers is smoke-free, even for trips to the bathroom, because of a separate hallway designed to the two rooms.
Two Brothers Tavern accommodates those looking for a quick bite and diners out for a more sophisticated evening. Reservations (at least for the next few months) are probably a good idea for the restaurant, but there is almost always seating at the bar.
The food at the Tavern is quite good. The fettucinni alfredo is a great version of an old classic —served with a choice of chicken or shrimp and a delicious Caesar salad. The cheese steak is a great choice as well, served with immense amounts of beef, cheese and peppers. Other good choices include the chicken wings (with multiple flavor options), French onion soup and artichoke dip. Every meal or appetizer is priced reasonably.
The bar offers 15 beers on tap, with Wolaver's IPA being the most recommended. With its upscale bar scene and large selection of alcohol, Two Brothers is sure to become a favorite spot of many Middlebury students. There are numerous bartenders, ensuring that a thirsty customer won't have to wait too long for a drink.
The atmosphere is truly unique, with locals and students nudging up next to each other at the bar. There seems to be a true connection between the staff and their customers, and a real sense of community at Two Brothers Tavern.
Middlebury has always had a number of gourmet, expensively priced restaurants. Places like Tully and Marie's, the Starry Night Cafe and Mary's all offer incredible meals, but at a high price. Two Brothers Tavern was designed to offer food of exceptional taste and quality at a reasonable price.
On opening night, the Tavern was running smoothly for its first night of operation. The service was prompt, the food was delicious and the check was reasonable.