Sophomore Seeks State Office

A native Vermonter, Calvin McEathron ’16 grew up on a small farm 10 minutes from Montpelier, the state capital. In an interview, McEathron said he has been passionate about politics since his freshman year of high school, when controversial legislation on the operation of Vermont Yankee, the state’s only nuclear reactor, was debated heavily in the state legislature.

This fall, McEathron will be making his dream a reality as he appears on the ballot as a candidate for one of two representatives of the town of Middlebury in the Vermont House of Representatives.

McEathron said his platform has grown from his own experience as a young adult in his home state.

“The overarching theme of the campaign is trying to get young people to come back to Vermont,” he said.

He sees the lack of students in Vermont public schools and the relocation of college-educated Vermont youth to other states as foundational problems.

“Looking ahead we need to work to build and maintain a viable student population that would assure the continued success of our reputable public education system,” said McEathron. “A continued decrease in elementary and high schools students will inevitably lead to a lack of resources, diversity of classes and opportunities for our students.”

According to McEathron, improved cellphone coverage and access to faster broadband internet are important measures that will attract a younger workforce to Vermont and keep them in the state. He said that he recognizes the appeal to many residents and visitors of “disconnecting,” but he believes that improved infrastructure will be vital to encouraging people to work in Vermont and make it a home rather than a vacation or retirement destination.

As part of an independent study last semester, McEathron researched effective campaigning techniques for state politicians, and concluded that personal engagement was more important to a campaign than a strong social media presence or excessive advertising. Over the summer he aims to knock on as many doors as possible in order to establish personal connections with his constituents and gain an understanding of their perspectives on issues affecting Vermonters.

The town of Middlebury is in the Addison-1 district and sends two elected representatives to the Vermont House of Representatives. Of the two incumbent representatives, Betty Nuovo and Paul Ralston, only Ms. Nuovo will seek re-election. She has held a seat in Addison-1 for 17 of the last 23 years and owns a lengthy record of public service in Middlebury.

McEathron and Donna Donahue — his first announced competitor — will seek to fill Ralston’s spot. Donahue is the former president of the Better Middlebury Partnership.

“There is already some competition which is great, and knowing how competitive the Vermont political process can be, I wouldn’t expect anything else,” McEathron said.

McEathron is not the first young student at the College to pursue state office. Former Governor of Vermont and Executive in Residence Jim Douglas ’72, recognized around campus for teaching the J-term class “Vermont Government and Politics,” was elected to the Vermont House of Representatives the same year he graduated from college.

“The legislature is stronger when Vermonters of different backgrounds and ages serve,” Douglas wrote in an email. “It’s young people who have the most at stake, after all, as they’ll be around longer to  experience the benefits and burdens of laws that are passed. In 1973 the Vermont House had the largest number of members age 25 and under in the nation: I think my older colleagues saw the value of all that youthful energy!”

McEathron’s run will not be easy. He faces experienced candidates in Nuovo and Donahue, and will have to find a balance in the spring and fall in running his campaign while pursuing his studies.

At the moment however, he is focused on his message.

“There are a lot of issues from taxes to healthcare that are really affecting Vermonters right now,” he said. “I think with a younger voice and a different perspective we could really get some meaningful things done.”