A Downtown Steeped in Specialty Shops

Author: Kelsey Rinehart

It's not hard to see that the Middlebury community knows what it wants. From Marble Works to Main Street, downtown Middlebury is filled with eccentric, unique shops that sell every sort of product to residents, visitors and Middlebury College students. Whether we have a craving for high-end sports gear or a triple-scoop cone of Phish Food, in Middlebury we can satisfy our needs, desires and whims at any number of places.
Penelope Fenyvest is one Middlebury business owner who knows what she and, she hopes, the Middlebury community want. "I worked in another store in town. I had a dog that has since passed away, that I took with me to work for nine years, and then I got this other Great Dane. The owner said I couldn't bring two dogs to work, so I said, 'Well, I guess I'll have to quit.'" On that note, Fenyvest decided to open 4 Dogs and a Wish, a shop that caters, among others, to dog-lovers like herself.
Entrepreneurs like Fenyvest recognize that, as an extremely diverse community of local residents, undergraduate students, summer program students and visitors, Middlebury has shopping needs that necessitate a variety of specialty shops. She and other business owners don't want potential customers, such as new College students frustrated with the sudden absence of strip malls, to storm off to Burlington every time they want to shop.
When asked whether she gets more business from College-related customers or town residents and tourists, Fenyvest replied, "I would say that it's pretty much across the board. I have a lot of local customers whom I may only see once or twice a year." Towards the end of the school year, she notices that more students start to come in, since there are a lot of activities going on at the College.
Though she has only been in business three years, Fenyvest has noticed that the number of College students coming into the store has increased. Fenyvest welcomes the shoppers and those who just want to pet her dogs. "I want people to just be happy looking around," she said as one of her Great Danes jumped into her chair in search of affection.
Fenyvest is especially thankful for the College's summer programs. "If the College didn't have the summer programs that it has, things would be, I think, very dull. They bring in a whole different group of people, and they're not tourists," she commented.
Marlene McLaughlin and her sister Sheila Shaw, like Fenyvest, recognized that something was missing from the Middlebury community. McLaughlin said that in 1988 when Glass Bead Game opened, "There was nowhere to really shop that had name brands and trendy things." For college-age women and women in their late 20s and 30s, there were two department stores (now closed) and Wild Mountain Thyme. McLaughlin, who grew up with several sisters in Middlebury, knew from personal experience that fashionable clothes were hard to come by in Middlebury.
McLaughlin says that the store's relationship with College students and their parents is very good. She noted, "In the short time that we've owned it, we've had many girls come in and say, 'I came here as a freshman. I've been coming here four years and now I'm graduating.'"
McLaughlin said she enjoys just being able to talk to the girls and the relaxed atmosphere of the store. "Ninety-five percent of the girls are extremely courteous and generous, and we really like to see them walk through the door," she said.
Another business with special ties to Middlebury College is Holy Cow, a specialty store owned by artist Woody Jackson, Class of 1970. Going to Middlebury in the late '60s "led to everyone wanting a creative existence," Jackson observed. He got involved with art at Middlebury, studying with Dave Bumbeck, professor emeritus of studio art, and living off campus in a small farm town. After graduating, Jackson spent a few years working for dairy farmers in a commune before going to Yale, where he earned a master's degree in fine arts. Jackson did an exhibit called "Cows" at the College in April 1974.
After traveling extensively, Jackson came back to Middlebury in 1983 and started Holy Cow, selling T-shirts bearing the familiar black- and-white Holstein so he could keep painting. Jackson's cows now grace everything from calendars to Ben & Jerry's ice cream containers to sweatshirts.
Jackson said he gets about as much business from College-related customers as from tourists, but that he has a strong tie to the College through the cards, tees and posters he supplies to the College Store. Overall, Jackson said of his alma mater, "It is a big help. Huge. We would be dead downtown without the College."
In addition, Jackson said, "I do employ students both in the store and in my studio. [They are] not so good in the store because of frequent vacations, but I've had wonderful experiences with studio assistants."
When College students hunt for sports equipment, one of the first places they go is Forth 'N Goal, a sports store five minutes away from campus that provides equipment and clothing for athletes of both team and individual sports. Opened in 1983, Forth 'N Goal is designed to cater to both College-related shoppers and local and visiting customers. Its products have mass appeal at the College and local levels. A Middlebury College Hockey T-shirt, for example, is a hot commodity for the College's starting goalkeeper, a Middlebury Union High School player, a "Superfan", a proud parent or grandparent or a visiting prospective hockey player.
David Disque of Forth 'N Goal said of his business, "It's definitely more town-related, but we do see, certainly, a number of Middlebury College visitors, current students, and alumni. We have a Web site dedicated directly to the Middlebury College community." Disque estimates that a third of the store is dedicated to Middlebury College paraphernalia, and that roughly 30 percent of business is College-related. Disque noted, "Of course we do supply some of the teams with merchandise. The lacrosse teams for sure, and squash."
Disque, unlike other business owners, does not see a pick-up or lull in business throughout the year. "With the change in sports seasons happening three or four times a year, we tend to be pretty even throughout the year." Disque did say, however, "Our very busiest [time] is spring, just by the nature of the sports, and people getting back into the outdoor mode."
Forth 'N Goal provides employment as well as running shoes to some College students. Both undergraduates and alumni have worked as clerks and salespeople. Disque commented, "Our experience is that, excluding times when they're away on break, they're very loyal and dedicated and competent employees. Certainly we have not had a bad experience employing Middlebury College students."
Disque said that Forth 'N Goal does advertise its connection to Middlebury College in terms of the clothing and paraphernalia that is embossed with the Middlebury logo. "It is a market that we feel is very important to us," Disque said. He also noted, "The other issue with that market is it's not catered to by other retailers in Middlebury, so it's sort of is an exclusive market."
Disque, like Fenyvest, McLaughlin and Jackson, is glad to have business from College-related customers, in addition to tourists and Middlebury residents. Business owners know that their shops satisfy specific needs in the Middlebury community. As Disque put it, "If they want something Middlebury College, you're where they can come and find it."