Commons System Creates Connections

On a day-to-day basis – especially as the fall semester gains momentum – students encounter a multitude of social interactions. From meetings with advisers to late night chats with friends, our lives are largely influenced by the relationships we forge with others. But what – if anything – is the force that shapes the way in which these connections form? While no single answer prevails, Middlebury’s often-overlooked commons system plays an important role in setting the tone for interactions that take place both inside and outside of the classroom.

All undergraduates of the College are assigned to one of the four commons, from which the College hopes to “[encourage] the free exchange of ideas and [build] a robust intellectual community.” The five Commons include Atwater, Brainerd, Cook, Ross and Wonnacott. While underclassmen are required to reside in the halls affiliated with their Commons during their first two years at the College, upperclassmen have the option of living anywhere on campus.

Dean of Brainerd  Commons and Assistant Professor of Comparative Literature Natasha V. Chang captures the essence of the Commons system with the metaphor of the neighborhood.

“I like that the Commons system breaks up the College as a whole into smaller neighborhoods so that there is more of a chance for people to get to know each other,” she said. “In a neighborhood [environment], you care about those around you, respect them, help them and are willing to do things together.”

Chang remarks that the Commons fulfills its goal of being a “living-learning community” in a variety of ways, from “grassroots programming depending on where students’ interests lie to programming that comes through official lines, such as the First Year Seminar [model].”

Like Chang, Commons Residential Advisor of Atwater Commons David Dolifka ’13 agrees that the Commons system helps to enhance the quality of life at the College.

“By choosing to attend a residential college, I think that Middlebury students understand the value of learning from peers outside of the classroom,” Dolifka said. “While the Commons system certainly extends a convenient opportunity for first-years to extend classroom discussions into the living space, I think the greater benefit comes from the organic conversations that occur within a community in which people feel integrated and comfortable.”

The Commons system has often received praise for its ability to help incoming first-years feel more at home in their first few weeks of college. Yasmeen Brynes ’17 – who also serves as a tour guide – says that the Commons system helps to develop personal connections with other students.

“[It’s] easier to see the same people more frequently so first-years can make friends and cultivate connections more easily,” Brynes said. “It’s a really good support system for incoming freshman, and I make sure to emphasize and explain Middlebury’s Commons to prospective students and their parents whenever I give a tour.”

CRA of Cook Commons Jordan Kelley ’14 also credits the College’s residential system with helping him find a sense of belonging, “especially as a first-year.”

“I made some of my closest friends here in my first-year dorm and connected with a great variety of people I might not otherwise have had an excuse to interact with,” he said. “The Commons is an organizational structure that helps students make sense of the wide array of offerings here at Middlebury, allowing them to connect more easily with the academic, cultural, extracurricular and social interests around campus.”

In line with Brynes’ and Kelley’s experiences, Dolifka also said that “for new students, the commons system seeks to make the Middlebury community feel a little more personal and a little less overwhelming.”

Although the Commons system plays an important part in shaping the experience for first-year students, some upperclassmen feel more disconnected from the Commons as they gradually move away from Commons-affiliated housing.

While Kelley agrees with this assessment, he notes that becoming a part of the College’s residential-life community is a great way stay engaged and “give back” to the Commons.

“I think the majority of students experience some kind of [disconnect] as they settle into academic and social spheres of choice during their time here and move away from Commons-specific housing,” he said. “The Commons serves greater accountability and organizational roles in the finishing years of most students here at Middlebury I think, though many students do continue interacting with the Commons, often by serving as [members of] Residential Life. By doing so, they are helping to give back to the system that allowed many of them to find their passions here at the College.”

Another point of contention for the commons system involves Middlebury’s “Feb” class, a group of approximately 100 students who enter the College for the first time at the beginning of spring semester. Unlike regular first-year students who enter the College in September, Febs are placed into a Commons but often do not live in the Commons-affiliated housing, which can make for a difficult transition.

Chang remarked that the Commons “work very hard with Feb leaders during orientation to make sure kids that are doing programming and connecting with other students in the commons. Res-life staff and deans also [make an effort to] connect individually with students for the Febs.”

As the College continues to develop, it is likely that the Commons system will remain one of the forefront aspects of residential life. While no system is perfect, Chang says what she enjoys most about the Commons is the simple pleasure of forming “holistic connection[s]” with students.

“I think what is really important is getting to know students in their fullness and not just seeing the academic side of [them], or looking at students from the sole perspective of a coach or mentor, even if it involves being honest and saying tough stuff,” she said.