Connecting With Community: Dance Marathons

This winter term, Middlebury College will once again join a national organization that hosts Dance Marathons on college campuses across the country to raise money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals by hosting the second annual Middlebury College Dance Marathon!

Our 12-hour event directly supports families at the Vermont Children’s Miracle Network Hospital at Fletcher Allen in Burlington, Vt. The money we raise helps with hospital bills, transportation costs for getting to the hospital, the homecare needs of the kids and any other medical related expense these families incur while taking care of their kids.

Last year, our event was a big success. Not only did we raise almost $5,000, but we also had a large turn out from the student body and the families from the hospital came down from Burlington to dance with us. Throughout the night, you could tell what a great time the kids were having as they came up with new dance moves, played games with the Middlebury students and struggled to keep their eyes open past 11 p.m.
This year, our hospital champion, Victoria, is already excited to join us for our events and show us her dance skills!

Last year’s Dance Marathon featured performances by different on-campus groups such as Riddim. Additionally, different activities such as giant twister kept participants awake throughout the night. This year we are hoping to build on the success of last year by making everything bigger and better.  Already, we are putting together an array of activities to keep the night full of fun and excitement.

Middlebury Dance Marathon 2.0’s theme is “Around the World in 12 Hours.” Currently, the committee is in talks with an array of student groups about incorporating all the resources Middlebury students have to offer into our event.

We believe that this is a great cause that can bring together college students and community members, so one of our goals this year is to get the Middlebury town community more involved. Although our event is focused on fundraising, it also provides a great opportunity for families to relax and enjoy themselves.

Dance Marathon 2.0 is taking place on Jan. 19, from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. (the second Saturday in winter term). Registration is now open! Participants can sign up at go/dancemarathon either as an individual dancer or create a team for you and your friends. If you are interested in getting involved in the planning process or having your group participate please contact us at middleburydancemarathon@gmail.com. Come and join us! We would love to see your dance moves!

Written by MAUREEN WYSE '13 & BARBARA OFOSU-SOMUAH '13