Good Ole Campus: Highlights from Spring 1960

While searching for a Good Ol’ Campus article, I stumbled upon the March 31, 1960 issue. Rather than choosing one article from a paper so packed with intriguing pieces, I decided to share multiple highlights. From an article describing the spring dance that featured Louis Armstrong and His All Star Band to a report on the student protests outside of segregated stores, the journalists of yesteryear provide a glimpse into a different time on our college grounds.

Events: “Spring Fever Selected As Theme of Junior Weekend”

‘Spring Fever’ will be the theme of Junior Weekend 1960. The annual weekend is scheduled for April 22-23 will begin at 5:15 p.m. Admission is $1. The proceeds will go toward the Library Fund.

Louis Armstrong and His All Stars will be featured at a jazz concert on Friday, April 22, beginning at 8 p.m. in the Field House, the cost is $3 per person.

To raise funds for Junior Weekend, the junior women are washing sweaters for 50 cents apiece. Junior men are siding in collecting and delivering the sweaters.

News on Campus: “Vermont College Students Picket College in Segregation Protest”

College groups from Goddard, Michael’s and the University of Vermont took up the cause last Saturday by picketing a branch of the Woolworth chain stores in Burlington, while another group of Vermont students and a group from Cornell did likewise in Barre.

Similar demonstrations have been organized by students at Skidmore, Hamilton, Yale University, Divinity School, Vassar, Smith and Bennington. They are protesting the segregation of lunch counters in Southern five and ten stores and the expulsion…of students who have participated in the past resistance sit-in campaign which aims to end discrimination.

Student Affairs: “Traditional Break To Be Abolished”

The ten o’clock ‘coffee break’ long a Middlebury tradition will be abolished. This announcement was made this week by President Samuel S. Stratton.

Stratton cited more effective utilization of faculty time and school facilities as the main reason for the change, “No other school that I know of has a scheduled coffee break in the middle of the morning,” he said.

The announcement of the recess’ demise brought reminiscences from John Bowker, dean of faculty, who recalled a time when chapel services were a large event in the college day. “In years before the college established the Daily News Notices announcements for the day were read after the service. It was the only way to disseminate information to the entire school.”

Sports: “Rifle Squad Now Varsity Sport Here”

The Middlebury Athletic Council, under the direction of Associate Professor Perkins, recognized riflery as an official sport at Middlebury and authorized the presentation of varsity letters to deserving members of the squad. According to Athletic Director Duke Nelson, the entire program will be run by the faculty of the ROTC Department.

“They will supply guns, ammunition, and couching, and will set up a competitive schedule with neighboring schools. They are greatly pleased by this decision, and I am sure that they will make the sport a great success,” said Duke.