College Disciplines Dunn

Elizabeth+Dunn+%2718+appeared+on+the+cover+of+Seven+Days.+
Elizabeth Dunn '18 appeared on the cover of Seven Days.

Seven Days

Seven Days

By CATHERINE POLLACK

Elizabeth Dunn ’18, who on Dec. 12 posted a list on Facebook accusing 36 current and former male students of sexual misconduct, has received official college discipline in the form of a letter in their file.

Official college discipline is a permanent attachment to a student’s file and must be reported if a student is asked whether they have received college discipline. It is also reported to the parents and guardians of the student.

“I’ve received official college discipline in the form of a letter that goes on my permanent record, for violating the respect for persons policy and obstructing a Title IX investigation (i.e. not sharing the names of survivors),” said Dunn, who uses they/them pronouns.

Dunn declined an interview with The Campus. However, they did participate in an interview with Seven Days last month before the college had reached a disciplinary decision.

“I could be facing suspension or expulsion. Middlebury judicial affairs has refused to take anything off the table right now,” Dunn said at the time of the interview.

Warnings, reprimands and probationary status, which are issued to students who commit nonacademic general offenses, are not a part of a student’s permanent record. These offenses are followed in severity by official college discipline and then suspension, which are permanent on a student’s file.

Official college discipline results from actions that violate Middlebury’s standards and policies. The handbook also states that further disciplinary action will likely result in suspension.

The handbook states, “Official college discipline is intended to encourage immediate improved behavior, and acceptance of responsibility and growth by establishing this incident on the student’s permanent record.”

Dunn told the Seven Days reporter that although they are applying to law school, they are not concerned with the discipline on their record hurting their chances of being accepted. Dunn said their backup plan is working in the Bronx public defender’s office.

Dunn said they stood by their decision to post the list.

“This harm is being done by, like, specific people and by specific individuals, and if we want to move toward a conversation about, like, healing and accountability and growth, there needs to be some acknowledgment that harm was done,” Dunn told Seven Days.

Bill Burger, the college’s spokesman, told The Campus that he could not respond to questions related to an individual student’s case.

About the Writer
CATHERINE POLLACK, News Editor
Catherine Pollack `19 is a News Editor. She has previously served as a news editor and news staff writer. Pollack is pursuing a joint degree in English and Environmental Policy and will be writing her joint thesis this fall. During the summer of 2018 she worked as an intern at the Cape Eleuthera Institute in...

9 Responses to “College Disciplines Dunn”

1. Stay Woke on February 15th, 2018 4:53 am

OMG you told her parents!?!?! S0 harsh

2. Class of '17 on February 15th, 2018 1:31 pm

Maybe consider using any other picture besides one that misgenders them? Like literally any other one?

3. Richard Vaughn on February 28th, 2018 5:00 pm

There are only two genders.

4. Appalled on February 15th, 2018 3:42 pm

God bless.

5. Intellectual Dishonesty on February 16th, 2018 4:26 pm

This person should not graduate. Vigilante justice is not justice

6. Saddened Alum on February 19th, 2018 12:02 pm

I would imagine that if a man published a list of ‘the top 20 campus sluts’ by name and included little vignettes on why they were on the list that man would (rightfully) be expelled. While being known as a slut isn’t great it would seem hard to argue it is a more damaging label than ‘rapist.’ Surely then a letter in this hypothetical man’s record is the very most Midd could now punish him without engaging in blatant hypocrisy. Seems a bizarre and sad result. Both Dunn and the hypothetical man in the example above deserve a far more serious punishment.

It is also truly alarming someone who displays such ignorance of the importance of due process and innocent until proven guilty wishes to attend law school. Maybe if she is let in she will learn something on the evidence available I doubt it.

7. Class of '19 on February 27th, 2018 11:31 am

Elizabeth Dunn raped me.

8. #boycottmiddlebury on February 27th, 2018 12:04 pm

PARENTS: Do not send your children to Middlebury. Unless they are willing to take stronger action against this sort of mass libel and slander on campus, they do not deserve your dollars. Spread the word.

ALUMS: Cut off all financial support to Middlebury until they rectify this situation. Spread the word.

THOSE IMPACTED: Dunn needs to be sued under Title IX for creating a hostile environment and with a civil lawsuit for libel. Also hire a PR firm to go after Middlebury. The only thing that colleges listen to these days is $$$.

9. melissa on February 27th, 2018 9:44 pm

Wow… a note on her file. That’s harsh.

College Disciplines Dunn