The Middlebury Campus

Editor’s Note: The Front Page Photograph

Kyle Wright/The Middlebury Campus

Kyle Wright/The Middlebury Campus

I wish to explain the photograph on page A1 to the readers. I recognize that it may be especially jarring, particularly for students of color who feel that Charles Murray’s rhetoric poses a threat to their very humanity. I also recognize that Murray’s visit to campus last March is an open wound for a campus trying desperately to move forward from it.

During a heated debate in the newsroom on Tuesday night, most of the section editors, and the managing editor, said that running this photograph would be inappropriate. Though I deeply respect the input of my editors, I decided to run the photograph anyway. I take full responsibility for this decision. It was mine alone, and any criticism should be directed at me alone.

This photograph is not meant to troll, or to cause pain, but to ask how that protest still lives with us today, one year later. For many, this image is burned in our collective memory. As much as we try to distance ourselves from that moment, we are made from it.

I recognize that running this photograph is a political act. Yet I see no way to comprehend this institution without seeing ourselves as part of American society, which is itself political.

I also believe moving forward requires looking inside, however unpleasant that may be. We cannot escape our history. We can only confront it.

Ethan Brady is the editor in chief.

76 Responses to “Editor’s Note: The Front Page Photograph”

1. The Alumni on March 1st, 2018 2:23 pm

You’ve just wasted five paragraphs embarrassing yourself, your paper and your college. You could have just written “I am a good person,please believe me!” and it would have been as effective and less embarrassing. Maybe try not to censor the experiences of others, maybe try some sunshine. Maybe try not to diminish the brilliance of the flawed humans that came before you. Maybe stop assuming your voice is worth hearing. We’ve heard it. We wish we hadn’t. Maybe next time, remain silent so we can just assume you’re a millennial fool instead of confirming it self loathing paragraph after self loathing paragraph. At least the constant degradation of the degree we’ve earned would stop.

Dave Reply:

Well said. I really thought this was a parody piece (especially that “threat to their very humanity” tripe), but these people are un-parody-able now.

2. Con Reeder on March 4th, 2018 7:12 am

“Threatens their humanity”? Can you explain the mechanism for that?

Nothing threatens anyone’s humanity except tyranny. Tyranny that you represent by your silencing of free speech.

Jeremy Willinger Reply:

This is spot on. If these kids are going to get so worked up over a PHOTO of a campus speaker, then maybe they arent emotionally mature enough for college.

3. Kelly Bryant on March 4th, 2018 7:23 am

A recent interview with Bill Kristol in which Mr. Murray provides a thoughtful retrospective of his career. Hint: he’s no monster.

4. Raoul Duke on March 4th, 2018 7:29 am

If this embarrassing drivel is what passes for higher education in America, then as a nation we must reevaluate how our children are educated. Colleges and universities are no longer centers of higher learning, but indoctrination programs churning out soft-headed ignoramuses. This nauseating, whiny garbage encapsulates a severe degradation of our educational systems.

Jonathan Swift Jr. Reply:

Indeed, seminaries for the left. When Murray came to speak they call assembled and chanted incantations and cheered when he was forced to leave the confines of their
    church. They didn’t want to hear any blasphemy!

5. CJI on March 4th, 2018 7:39 am

Not all millennials feel the same way as this self-righteous Dude. I’ve read Murray. Not all but some and how he’s interpreted as a racist is beyond me.

In the words of Andrew Breitbart, “There’s nothing in this country that is a worse accusation than racism. Its where in America if you accuse someone of racism, that person has to..disprove that.”

6. K T Cat on March 4th, 2018 7:42 am

It’s a photo, sweetie. It can’t hurt you. I’ll leave your night light on. Mommy and I are right in the next room. We’ll protect you from the bad men who don’t think like you.

7. Okaro on March 4th, 2018 9:17 am

You write as if his visit was some kind of a school shooting or other traumatic event people need to get over. It wasn’t. He should come there more often so you get used to views that are different from what you hold and you can learn some tolerance.

8. A Passing Bystander on March 4th, 2018 11:12 am

Any person who believes Charles Murray poses a “threat to their very humanity” at the very least hasn’t read his books, or desperately is in need of psychiatric services. The people who chose to hurt another person over a made up perceived threat need to be evaluated, charged with battery, and punished for acting out on what can only be called a figment of their highly overactive imagination.

Middlebury can’t move on as it has failed to acknowledge its failures to its students and to its visitors.

One can only hope that Alumni and what would be future students wise up and spend their money elsewhere.

9. Anne Sym-Smith on March 4th, 2018 11:21 am

Just last week my high school junior and I met with our NYC independent school’s college counselor. When Middlebury was mentioned, we both shook our heads and said “Absolutely not.” Whatever fine qualities Middlebury has are unimportant in light of this deeply distressing event (and others like it).

Middlebury has a deep stain that can be mitigated only by confronting it, as suggested by Ethan Brandy. And while that happens (if it happens), my daughter will be at an institution that that welcomes well-reasoned and respectful debate, not an uninformed mob rule. If administrators and students have lost sight of what uninformed and civilized debate looks like, I invite you to watch a video or listen to a podcast on numerous controversial topic at IQ2US.

Thank you for your courage, Mr. Brady, for raising this distressing yet essential subject. I wish you and your fellow students courage in foraging ahead.

10. Boyd Silken on March 4th, 2018 12:12 pm

Where is the “inappropriate” and “jarring” photograph?

11. Zimriel on March 4th, 2018 2:12 pm

Charles Murray has tweeted that, instead, you should be running the picture of the woman whose neck your university’s goons broke, with – I now see – your tacit approval.

Her name is Allison Stanger.

are you blind? Reply:

She’s in the picture

Conrad Spoke Reply:

The obvious point is that Ms. Stanger was not named, nor was the fact that she was seriously injured by anti-free speech Marxist thugs.

Zimriel Reply:

He *is* right that my eyesight is poor and couldn’t make out the face behind him.

Charles Breiling Reply:

To be clear, Murray tweeted: “How about confronting that the woman in the photograph you can’t bring yourself to name suffered a concussion and a neck injury that she still lives with?”

Senior @Midd Reply:

Professor Stanger was injured by off-campus activists believed to be based in Burlington. Not. Students.

Philip Dean Reply:

“Believed to be”

Yeah, that’s it. She was attacked by outside agitators on the campus and you can’t expect campus security to defend college faculty, and the students who got their wrists slapped for A&B were unjustly accused.

Bill Grant Reply:

“Activists”? As in “mugging activists”? Were the brownshirts “activists”?

anonymous Reply:

First of all, people at the scene of the assault said they saw students. It has NEVER been demonstrated that all the attackers were from off campus. Second, the professional antifa thugs–known for their commitment to violent methods– were INVITED to campus by a student:

“But before the open meeting could happen, a student made a decision that would have important consequences for the tenor of the protests. On Tuesday evening, a student took a trip to attend a meeting of Green Mountain Anti-Fascist Action, a group that styles itself as ‘a community network of militant anti-fascists.’ ‘Throughout the process we were in communication with students,’ said a 25-year-old woman who is a member of the group. She asked that her name not be used because she fears the ‘alt-right’ will target her. It was her group that would help earn the protest its unsavory ‘mob’ label.”

12. Alum on March 5th, 2018 8:47 am

This editorial neatly encapsulates why in this day and age, I would never hire anyone straight out of Midd — even if they didn’t outwardly subscribe to the toxic identity politics that appear to be prevalent on campus.

The author seems like a reasonable person who made a good editorial decision and is trying to communicate that decision, but both the tone and logical structure of his arguments belie the fact that Middlebury has become a place where a sizable minority of students and professors have cowed the rest of the campus into submission through the threat of scorched-earth assault on dissenters’ reputations.

I wouldn’t hire anyone who had been marinating in such an environment for the last four years — no way. As far as I can tell, one of the main topics current Midd students learn, simply by osmosis in the current on-campus environment, is a nuanced set of rules for enforcing the dominance of intersectional identity politics through vicious harassment and shaming.

It’s sad, because the upshot of all this is the reduction of opportunities for Midd students, including the ones (probably a majority of current Middkids) who think all this identity politics stuff is dumb, but say nothing because they don’t want to a) be publicly tarred for wrongthink and b) limit their current opportunities to have friends on campus. In the commentary section of another article, the author Bochu Ding quoted Greg Buckles as saying, “Middlebury has been known as a fairly low-key school when it comes to hardcore recruiting”. Sorry Greg, but that’s like a person with terrible halitosis saying that they’re fairly low-key when it comes to dating.

Let me be clear, current students: WE DON’T WANT TO HIRE YOU BECAUSE WE THINK YOU’RE CRAZY. And that will probably continue to be true unless and until you turn Midd back into a place where people can actually learn stuff and discuss controversial topics in a heterodox environment in which people can speak their minds without fear of character assassination.

13. Richard Fox on March 5th, 2018 4:20 pm

What kind of people work at the Campus nowadays? Running this photo is a political act? Have you never heard of actual political acts — the Civil Rights Movement, perhaps? These millennials think putting a normal photo in a student newspaper is a political act.

14. Brian S. on March 5th, 2018 9:38 pm

My God, talk about over-acting. Apparently the political theater at Middleberry continues. If this is what passes for a courageous editorial decisions these days, journalism is in trouble.

I actually agree with much of the critique of Murray. I think he proved himself to be a racist in his book The Bell Curve. But surely the best way to deal with racists and racist ideas is to debunk them, not cower in fear over photographs of their messengers. This weaponized moral outrage and this notion of grave psychological harm done by words or photographs — it’s simply a political tactic used by campus activists, a way of bullying the opposition and shutting down debate. Are activists seriously claiming that professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. is damaged goods, because he lived in a dorm at Yale named after a white supremacist (Calhoun College)? Have we become that stupid?

So, for the record, the violence at Middleberry, the harm, was done overwhelmingly by the protesters. Have they not owned that yet?

George Orwell is turning over in his grave.

Philip Dean Reply:

Yes, we have “become that stupid”, when people virtue signal their membership in the Maoist tribe by calling Murray a racist.

Quote one complete paragraph of Murray’s entire career, and break down for us how “racist” he is.

This is the “I’m a Maoist too so don’t doxx me man but you’re maybe slightly out of line here” line of brave discourse.

Brian Reply:

You didn’t read the book.

Philip Dean Reply:

I’ve read all of his books, some more than once, and I’ve played cards with him.

Quote one paragraph from any of his books that is “racist,” “Brian”. That was the challenge that you ignored.

Or you could call me names or something, or tell me that maybe I read the books but didn’t understand them because I didn’t go to Middlebury.

Jack Reply:

“But surely the best way to deal with racists and racist ideas is to debunk them”

“racist” is little more than a political weapon used by the left to shame and silence others. There’s nobody more “racist” than the left, so it’s classic projection.

They can’t debunk Murray because he’s much smarter and more thoughtful than they will ever be. He’s almost always right, which is why they lash out instead of debating him.

15. Zoe on March 5th, 2018 10:57 pm

The photograph above? I don’t understand in the least how it threatens anyone’s “very humanity” – I think we need a soap opera set on a college campus, or maybe a full fledged opera. It seems to be a very ripe setting for overwrought melodrama.

16. Killer Marmot on March 6th, 2018 12:45 am

Good lord, what embarrassing mush. If progressiveness means this apologetic drivel then I want none of it.

17. Midd Student on March 6th, 2018 2:13 am

Love that this guy thinks he’s being bold by starting dialogue in our school’s newspaper, which, to some extent, exists for that very reason.

Also, it’s worth noting that this is a discussion that our school has proved incapable of handling with maturity; it ripped us to pieces last year, and concluded without resolution. (Ethan should know this better than anybody, but The Campus just loves writing/editorializing on Charles Murray). More discussions will yield the same results. Sometimes you need to let sleeping dogs lie. Hopefully, more mindful admissions office will full this place with students superior to its current inhabitants, who can have these discussions down the road.

18. Rasmin Tamse on March 6th, 2018 10:42 am

Goodness gracious. The fact that there seems to be no way anyone can think their way out of this toxic mindset demonstrates that’s its become a cult movement from which there is no escape.

19. Melissa on March 6th, 2018 4:34 pm

I doubt anyone among the hyperventilating crown has read anything that Murry has written including his most controversial work, The Bell Curve.

While it’s debatable whether or not that book itself is good science, there’s plenty of scientific inquiry today about the importance of intelligence as a predictor of outcomes (yes, that’s the core hypothesis of the Bell Curve if anyone bothers to read it).

It should also be noted that his talk last year was not about the Bell Curve, or intelligence. Instead it was about social shifts impacting White Americans. I don’t think it’s that controversial to note that America is changing and that whites are no longer as influential and powerful as they were in the 1950s.

I’d suggest that people stop judging Murry before reading some of this works and opinions. Think for yourselves. If you still think “Muarry’s rhetoric poses a threat to their very humanity” after reading his work, then fine.

20. A. Rand on March 7th, 2018 6:28 am

This comment section is priceless

21. Philip Dean on March 7th, 2018 5:10 pm

It costs about $70K/year to go to Middlebury, all in. While I know that arithmetic is hard, that means that a person paying Middlebury fees and costs, who of course pays taxes, had to earn at least $140K of gross income to send some precious, hand-wringing child to Middlebury to not get educated and not grow up. Granted, Middlebury has its own ski hill (or did, when I didn’t go there). Perhaps there’s a discount if you yell at teachers and commit battery, sending them to the hospital.

So, money. For more than half a million dollars of gross income (or, the cost of a person’s retirement), some lucky parent gets to see his child write some sniveling drivel about how a picture of a renowned scholar offends humanity, because his school embraces mob action, and he just wants us all to be inclusive.

I suggest the useless editor take his first coffee-serving job in South Philly, where he can educate everyone on how abusive free thought is to community safety. He’d better stay on Mommy and Daddy’s health plan, though, because he’s probably going to discover that lecturing and hectoring works better for hothouse orchids at Middlebury, than in the real world. Perhaps by age 26 he’ll be able to get a non-paying internship with a real publication, and qualify for Medicaid.

22. Philip Dean on March 7th, 2018 5:13 pm

Just remember, the pre-tax cost of the “education” this editor received is over $500K. With this apologia for a normal photograph of a professor and an important public intellectual, he just became unemployable.

23. Brian on March 7th, 2018 5:19 pm

Why, in my day, they would call people like this Ethan character pussies. That’s when we were more free to recognize reality.

RMW Reply:

But you can’t hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn’t we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn’t this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg – isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

24. Jesse Cole M.D. on March 7th, 2018 5:45 pm

Do any of you people have any idea how juvenile and idiotic writings like this make you look?

Are you all triggered by pictures of Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and Trump too?

Grow. Up.

25. GTFO on March 8th, 2018 12:53 am

If I were an employer in the area, I would ban this sh—thole from any and all recruitment efforts. I would also run a list of every student who is pumped out of it. That way none of you even attempt to scrub this place from your resume.

Work at McDonalds. It apparently is the only job millennial idiots these days are capable of holding.

Philip Dean Reply:

I wouldn’t allow interviews absent written evidence that the applicant somehow found a way to think critically, write well, and has had a few real jobs. By “job” I don’t mean answering the phone for free at Friends of the Earth.

This editor wets his pants over a documentary (and very poor) photo of a prof and an intellectual.

/CEO 27 years, Oberlin grad. First paid by a commercial daily newspaper at age 16.

26. Ami Furgang on March 8th, 2018 1:20 am

the editor of The Campus makes a bold choice, explains intention behind it, and expresses empathy with anyone who potentially would feel disturbed by it, and then 20+ self-righteous commenters take the opportunity to whine about it. But wait! Not a single one is actually offended by the photo, they’re all offended by pc-culture! So, um…do you guys need a safe space? Or do you need the editor to apologize for hurting your feelings? I’m sowwy Middlebury makes you so angwy and fwustrated :'(

let’s be real though, you’re honestly all worse at handling an opposing viewpoint than anyone I know on this campus.

Mark Reply:

Anyone who is disturbed by a photo does not deserve empathy but rather derision for being such a pathetic human being that seeing an older gentlemen in a suit and tie standing quietly on a stage causes them severe mental distress. those people need to be ridiculed to no end as supposedly they are adults when they are actually overgrown children. There is no opposing view point only cry babies

Ami Furgang is an idiot Reply:

Here we have an example of a fascist leftist Ami Furgang, projecting her shortcomings onto everyone but herself. Thanks for the lesson And.

NIck Reply:

“the editor of The Campus makes a bold choice.” Uh…NO.

Bill Grant Reply:

How was this a “bold choice?
    The obvious answer is that because unwelcome speech comes with a threat of violence and retaliation at Middlebury. I haven’t seen any of these “self-righteous commenters” that you take issue with resorting to threats. Not a very high bar to clear, I’ll admit; yet one that Middlebury hasn’t.

Anonymous Reply:

“I’m sorry for publishing a photograph of a man in a suit” does not rise to the level of even being a viewpoint, let alone a “bold choice”, and “No, you’re the snowflakes!” is not even a reply.

27. Jack on March 8th, 2018 3:09 am

Have the violent thugs who assaulted this nice elderly man and the Midd professorette been expelled/prosecuted? You know, the real threat to humanity?

Jonathan Swift Jr. Reply:

The one who hit the professor and injured her was from off campus, but the campus thugs-in-training who rioted were not disciplined. Fascistic behavior is honored on the modern campus, which is rather interesting because they often claim to be “Anti-fascists.”

28. Dan Stewart on March 8th, 2018 9:12 am

All else aside, the author, who is the paper’s editor-in-chief, has surprisingly poor writing skills.

29. Jim Colton on March 8th, 2018 9:16 am

My first thought was this was “The Onion.” Apologizing for publishing a head shot? Because it might offend some students? A head shot? I’m sorry…is this a college newspaper or a coloring book for kindergarten? Here’s some helpful career advice Ethan…Journalism isn’t for you.

Chili Dogg Reply:

This guy and others like him are going to put The Onion out of business!

30. Frank Tisdale on March 8th, 2018 10:15 am

“Charles Murray’s rhetoric poses a threat to their very humanity”
    “this image is burned in our collective memory. As much as we try to distance ourselves from that moment, we are made from it.”
    “I see no way to comprehend this institution without seeing ourselves as part of American society, which is itself political.”

There was a time in recent past where, regardless of one’s political leanings, that this sort of drama-queening, melodramatic, self-important, hyperbolic, pathetic-appeal-making rhetorical gibberish would be a source of deep and lasting shame.

In fact, you’d need to run an apology for your apology, something along the lines of this:

“I am sorry i treated such a trivial subject in a way that suggested all our readers were pre-teen children incapable of even looking at a picture without being emotionally and spiritually traumatized. I don’t know what i was thinking. I’ve been taking hormone therapy recently and it has weird side-effects”

You might as well be screeching how TV-commercials are a constant reminder capitalist oppression, or that love-songs on the radio are an unfair constant reminder of one’s own failed romances.

Somehow in the last generation, the assumption of infantile, perpetual-vulnerability has become some point of pride. One’s ability to be traumatized by the slightest exposure to something unpleasant or otherwise potentially-disagreeable is treated as a public-virtue.

What you will learn as you leave college is that no one in the rest of the world sees this as a positive quality. If anything it is cause for contempt and disregard.

Shorter: When you take trivial things so seriously, no one will take YOU seriously. Stop.

31. William Miller on March 8th, 2018 10:22 am

You are, for want of a better word (s), a wussy. A craven coward. A toadie for the religion of progressivism. An anti-intellectual. A spokeschild for the spoiled millennials. An entitled, self-centered, spoiled ignorant pissant.

I will get back to you when I think of more.

32. Rachel M on March 8th, 2018 10:35 am

Just the fact that this is appearing is paralysis by analysis. Higher learning institutions need to remember what UNIversity actually means. Its mission should be to broadly educate diverse individuasl to a common or UNIfied curriculum.
    Diverse opinions should abound on the campus and protesting mobs should not be tolerated by anyone; especially not campus leadership. Universities used to cherish opinions from all perspectives. Since when is it ok to violently protest and forbid speakers with another point of view?

33. Karen on March 8th, 2018 11:49 am

This says much about Middlebury. None of it good.

34. Dan on March 8th, 2018 12:18 pm

Seriously Sir,

If you had been running the Washington Post in the 70’s your team would have voted against running pictures of Nixon? You need a new team.

There are educated individuals devoted to counseling and psychiatry. Newspapers are generally devoted to journalism. Confronting the past, or difficult things often hurts. You clearly did the right thing, apologizing for it may be self preservation but it’s sad.

Jonathan Swift Jr. Reply:

Except that now “journalism” seems to consist mainly of suppressing anything that makes the left uncomfortable. Finding a good story and covering it – with a pillow – until it stops moving.

35. A Av8r on March 8th, 2018 1:01 pm

Wow. I thought of offering encouraging words about how you will learn to function in the real world when you grow up, etc., but screw it.

I hope you learn how stupid you sound earlier rather than later so you won’t miss all your opportunities.

Good luck, sweetie!

36. Jonathan Swift Jr. on March 8th, 2018 1:04 pm

Whenever I hear all this “racist” nonsense about Charles Murray and the book he wrote with the late Richard Herrnstein, I just have to laugh. Every time I encounter someone who makes this claim it turns out that they have neither read the book, nor do they have the slightest understanding about the thrust of the argument it was making.

The Bell Curve would have been much better off with a lefty-sounding title like “The Cognitive Elite and the Rise of Inequality,” which is a much more accurate title. The whole point of the book is that modern society, the way that it functions and is organized is making raw intelligence more and more vital and creating a class of “cognitive elite” that are leaving the rest of society far, far behind.

Leftists like President Obama claim to be obsessed with “inequality,” and “the growing gap between rich and poor,” and here were two social scientists who used extensive research in order to see why this was happening. The book was full of research showing the benefits of intelligence in the modern world and why these people were getting ahead then and how that trend has only accelerated. I.Q. is one of the best predictors of success in college and in life and this simple fact is one of the best supported facts in social science, where results can be squishy.

The American military has given tens of millions of Americans their version of I.Q. tests and because of the vast sample, they know it works and that is how they sort their recruits. A Navy recruit that has not been to college but who scores high in intelligence and math will in all likelihood end up on a nuclear sub, not swabbing decks.

Virtually every one of us knows when we encounter something we don’t have the brainpower for, so while you or I may be intelligent enough for many difficult tasks, very few of us will win a Nobel Prize in physics. The more abstract a subject becomes, the more intelligence it requires, its that simple. And of course today because of “assortive mating” we have two brilliant doctors marrying each other, two computer scientists, two attorneys, giving their children a further leg up.

The whole notion that Murray is a “racist” or a “white supremacist” come from double digit I.Q. folks who are aware that millions and millions of I.Q. tests have shown that different racial and ethnic groups do not score the same, so because Murray (and countless other researchers) have chosen to report the truth, they are labeled “racists.” And of course the hilarious thing is that Jews and Asians (as we all know) do very well on I.Q. tests, so he might as well be labeled an “Asian supremacist” as we can see that the extensive use of I.Q. tests helps Asians. Yes, blacks (on average) do not do as well on standardized I.Q. tests. This is simply a fact, not racism. And the one thing we all know it is that political correctness has one overarching goal – to suppress any truths that make someone “uncomfortable.” Well, welcome to the real world.

Murray’s thesis – that there was a growing cognitive elite that was gaining an immense advantage from the way the modern West is structured has been proven by events time and time again. In the age of the Internet, one brilliant idea can make someone a billionaire many times over, while due to outsourcing and automation, there are fewer and fewer satisfying and decent paying jobs for those left behind and all Zukie and his pals want to do is to further automate everything (like eliminating truck drivers and taxis) and then put everyone on a guaranteed income so that they can become opiate addicts too one presumes.

And to add insult to injury, Murray spent years in the third world, working for the Peace Corps and married a woman from Thailand. That must make him a modern Klansman, right? He wrote another book on poor whites and social dysfunction called “Coming Apart,” to try to show people that there are practices, government policies and situations that lead to social dysfunction, to take it out of the racial realm. “The Bell Curve” was really a prophetic work, one that everyone should read because the fact of a cognitive elite and a growing divide between them and the rest of society is a real problem, one that should concern left and right.

There is a long interview between Sam Harris and Charles Murray on Youtube that is well worth listening to, as well as a number of videos on I.Q. and assortive mating by Jordan Peterson from his psychology lectures at the University of Toronto. I.Q. is a real thing and hiding your head in the sand or heading for a safe space to eat gummy bears and hug a plush doll won’t make this reality go away – at least once you leave the college playroom.

37. Bert Difig on March 8th, 2018 3:52 pm

Editor’s Note:
    We find photos of people who disagree with us frightening and physically imposing.
    Also, we believe it is probable that our shadows are stalking us.
    Someone please catch our shadows and send them to Gitmo for the terrorism they inflict upon us.

No, we haven’t sought psychiatric help… Why do you ask?

38. Babba Lou on March 8th, 2018 4:38 pm

Please put on your hijab and skulk back into the shadows.

39. David Bach on March 8th, 2018 11:10 pm

Good lord, your generation will surely be the one to send us all to Hell.

40. K H Ryesky on March 9th, 2018 2:10 am
  41. Egg Man on March 9th, 2018 4:52 am

Murray is clearly a white supremacist! That’s why The Bell Curve says the average asian IQ is higher than the average white IQ. Reeeeeeee

42. Shamiracle Jackson on March 9th, 2018 8:25 am

We’re you born without balls or did you allow some feminazi to cut them off. Good luck trying to find a job with whatever useless degree you have. You better get used to saying “do you want room for cream”!

43. Daria on March 9th, 2018 2:35 pm

I thought newspapers were supposed to cover the news. A photo of the subject of an article certainly seems to fit the bill.

The idea that a simple photograph can threaten the humanity of people who are legally adults is ridiculous.

44. Oliver on March 9th, 2018 8:42 pm

The so-called professors that are “teaching” these students should be deeply ashamed of themselves for infantilizing these kids and then launching them into the world where the rest of us have to deal with their insufferable victimhood complex, identity politics, and annoying SJW bullshit. These dipshit professors are “reaching” the less secure and more vulnerable kids that have been entrusted to them and causing them serious harm. Some of these kids will leave Middlebury less capable than when they arrived.

When I think about what these professors must be like; and the stupid bullshit that they spread, and the way they respond to the slightest questioning or criticism, I recall Bertrand Russell’s observation. “If your belief is based on faith, you will realize that argument is useless, and will therefore resort to persecution or by stunting and distorting the minds of the young in what is called ‘education.’ This last is peculiarly dastardly since it takes advantage of the defencelessness of immature minds.”

Some of these professors are preying on immature minds and infecting them with a sick political ideology and worldview. I think it is fair to ask if what some of these more radical feminist and Marxist-leaning professors are doing is a form of abuse?

My son is gifted and will get into the best schools in the country. I don’t know where he’s going. But I do know where he’s not going: Middlebury.

45. Steven J Lauridsen on March 9th, 2018 8:53 pm

Please read Mr. Murray’s books and deal with the issues he raises. I know of no more trenchant analyst of contemporary society. I find him very convincing, but if you don’t, then engage in a debate with other facts and analysis. All the rest of Middlebury’s cry-bullies’ totalitarian reactions is somewhere between a huge waste of everybody’s time and a threat to civilization. I’m still trying to work that part out, but meanwhile Mr. Murray, thankfully, continues to write and speak intelligently about what is going wrong with our society. I’d rather devote my energies in that direction.

46. Sam on March 11th, 2018 5:51 am

It’s truly shameful how little critical thinking takes place at what used to be respectable colleges.

47. Chris Halkides on March 11th, 2018 1:30 pm

This essay leaves out two crucial pieces of information. One is that the students who protested prevented their own classmates from listening to an invited speaker. Two is that the these students put one of their own professors in the hospital. That this professor (Allison Stanger) was willing to engage and debate Dr. Murray’s ideas is important in one respect and irrelevant in another: the students could have learned the how to have a discourse with whom one disagrees. On the other hand even if Professor Stanger had agreed with Murray’s ideas, it would not have given anyone the right to harm her bodily. The real stain on Middlebury’s reputation was that these students received only a token punishment.

Chris Halkides Reply:

The police were unable to identify the people responsible for Professor Stanger’s injuries. Whether they were students or non-student agitators cannot be determined with certainty; therefore, my comment above, as well as the students’ denials of their involvement, should be amended.

48. PJ Matzig on March 11th, 2018 4:48 pm

You “people” (I use the word loosely) are pathetic losers. Just the absolute worst. Generation X have got to be the shittiest parents in history.

Gen-X Dad Reply:

Hey, please don’t blame all Gen Xers for these idiots.

I’m proud to say that I’m raising a 12 and 14 year old who are coming up fast behind these SJW loons and are going to give them hell.

All of their friends use the word “woke” with an eye roll and speak eloquently (for their age) about how identity politics –and the tribalism it fosters– is actually setting back race and gender progress in this country.

Here’s hoping for Gen Z.

49. anon on March 11th, 2018 11:21 pm

You’re not going to have a free society for long in Vermont if you don’t allow free speech or a free press. What disgusts me just as much is self-censorship. Your grandfathers didn’t risk their lives at D-day so you would bow down and appease antifa thugs with pages of trigger warnings. You definitely won’t have the courage to ever show pictures of Mohammed cartoons for a just cause now would you?

I really thought the article was satire from the onion. I wouldn’t attend to Middlebury University. Trigger warnings are illiberal and prevent neutral editorializing. Maybe all of you need to go to boot camp for a month and toughen up.