Why We Are Now Arts & Academics

By NICK GARBER

This fall, we’re widening the scope of our now-former Arts & Sciences section in order to focus more broadly on academic life at Middlebury. The new name you see at the top of the page — Arts & Academics — reflects our goal of shining a brighter spotlight on things like faculty and student research, innovative teaching taking place inside classrooms and news about grants and and fellowships.

The humanities and social sciences, of course, deserve just as much coverage in the student newspaper as any other disciplines, and we’re hoping that this change will result in a section that’s academically diverse, beyond the hard sciences and the performing arts. And being the student newspaper doesn’t mean that the voices we incorporate should be limited to students — we are encouraging faculty to get more involved with The Campus as we expand our coverage of academic life.

We welcome feedback on these changes, and ideas for potential Arts & Academics stories — please contact managing editor Nick Garber at ngarber@middlebury.edu if you’d like to get in touch with The Campus.

About the Writer
NICK GARBER, Managing Editor
Nick Garber ’19 is a managing editor. He previously served as a news editor, senior writer, and Community Council correspondent. Nick is majoring in political science with a French minor, and spent the Spring 2018 semester in Yaoundé, Cameroon. During the summer of 2018, he worked as a reporter at the Addison County Independent, where he covered the college,...